Establishing regularities of wood protection against water absorption using a polymer shell
Keywords:protective means, weight gain of wood, wood surface treatment, water absorption, polymer shell
This paper has analyzed protective materials for timber building structures and established the need to devise reliable methods for studying the process of water absorption by the surface of the construction structure necessary for designing new types of fire-retardant materials. Therefore, it becomes necessary to determine the conditions for the formation of a barrier for water absorption and to elucidate a mechanism for inhibiting the transfer of moisture to the material. In this regard, a mathematical model of the intensity of water mass transfer when using a polymer shell made of organic material as a coating has been built, which makes it possible to assess the effectiveness of the polymer shell by the amount of water absorbed. Based on the experimental data and theoretical dependences, the intensity of absorption of water by wood was calculated; and it has been established that the protective coating reduces the amount of water absorbed by more than 20 times. The results of determining the weight gain by a sample during water exposure indicate an ambiguous impact of the nature of protection on water absorption. In particular, this implies the presence of data sufficient for the qualitative process of inhibition of moisture diffusion; and detecting, on its basis, the point in time when the drop in the coating's efficiency begins. Analysis of the results of experiments reveals that the maximum increase in mass in the case of water absorption by a non-treated sample of wood was 40 % while the increase in the mass of wood samples treated with mixtures of oil and paraffin was less than 28 %. At the same time, the best protection is shown by a mixture of oil with paraffin within 90÷95 %. Thus, there are grounds to assert the possibility of directed regulation of wood protection processes through the use of polymer coatings that can form a protective layer on the surface of the material, which inhibits the rate of absorption of water.
- Автори висловлюють подяку за фінансову підтримку роботи, виконаної в рамках бюджету фінансування № 0121U001007, а також на розробку наукових тем у програмі наукового співробітництва COST Action FP 1407 «Розуміння модифікації деревини за допомогою інтегрованого наукового та екологічного підходу» в рамках програми Європейського Союзу HORIZON2020.
- Kiktev, N., Lendiel, T., Vasilenkov, V., Kapralуuk, O., Hutsol, T., Glowacki, S. et. al. (2021). Automated Microclimate Regulation in Agricultural Facilities Using the Air Curtain System. Sensors, 21 (24), 8182. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/s21248182
- Tang, C. C., Li, Y., Buzoglu Kurnaz, L., Li, J. (2021). Development of eco-friendly antifungal coatings by curing natural seed oils on wood. Progress in Organic Coatings, 161, 106512. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.porgcoat.2021.106512
- Zeljko, M., Ocelić Bulatović, V., Špada, V., Blagojević, S. L. (2021). Environmentally Friendly UV-Protective Polyacrylate/TiO2 Nanocoatings. Polymers, 13 (16), 2609. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/polym13162609
- Cheumani Yona, A. M., Žigon, J., Dahle, S., Petrič, M. (2021). Study of the Adhesion of Silicate-Based Coating Formulations on a Wood Substrate. Coatings, 11 (1), 61. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/coatings11010061
- Moria, H. (2019). Design development and characterization super hydrophobic surface coating on wood materials. International Journal of Advanced Research in Engineering & Technology, 10 (5). doi: https://doi.org/10.34218/ijaret.10.5.2019.008
- Shiny, K. S., Sundararaj, R., Vijayalakshmi, G. (2017). Potential use of coconut shell pyrolytic oil distillate (CSPOD) as wood protectant against decay fungi. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products, 76 (2), 767–773. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00107-017-1193-8
- Guo, H., Bachtiar, E. V., Ribera, J., Heeb, M., Schwarze, F. W. M. R., Burgert, I. (2018). Non-biocidal preservation of wood against brown-rot fungi with a TiO2/Ce xerogel. Green Chemistry, 20 (6), 1375–1382. doi: https://doi.org/10.1039/c7gc03751a
- Nikolic, M., Lawther, J. M., Sanadi, A. R. (2015). Use of nanofillers in wood coatings: a scientific review. Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, 12 (3), 445–461. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11998-015-9659-2
- Cai, L., Lim, H., Kim, Y., Jeremic, D. (2020). β-Cyclodextrin-allyl isothiocyanate complex as a natural preservative for strand-based wood composites. Composites Part B: Engineering, 193, 108037. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2020.108037
- Arminger, B., Jaxel, J., Bacher, M., Gindl-Altmutter, W., Hansmann, C. (2020). On the drying behavior of natural oils used for solid wood finishing. Progress in Organic Coatings, 148, 105831. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.porgcoat.2020.105831
- Teacă, C.-A., Roşu, D., Mustaţă, F., Rusu, T., Roşu, L., Roşca, I., Varganici, C.-D. (2019). Natural bio-based products for wood coating and protection against degradation: A Review. BioResources, 14 (2), 4873–4901. doi: https://doi.org/10.15376/biores.14.2.teaca
- Tsapko, Y., Horbachova, O., Mazurchuk, S., Bondarenko, O. (2021). Study of resistance of thermomodified wood to the influence of natural conditions. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 1164 (1), 012080. doi: https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899x/1164/1/012080
- Tsapko, Y., Vasylyshyn, R., Melnyk, O., Lomaha, V., Tsapko, А., Bondarenko, O. (2021). Regularities in the washing out of water-soluble phosphorus-ammonium salts from the fire-protective coatings of timber through a polyurethane shell. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (10 (110)), 51–58. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2021.229458
- Tsapko, Y., Sirko, Z., Vasylyshyn, R., Melnyk, O., Tsapko, А., Bondarenko, O., Karpuk, A. (2021). Establishing patterns of mass transfer under the action of water on the hydrophobic coating of the fire-retardant element of a tent. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 4 (10 (112)), 45–51. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2021.237884
- Janna, W. S. (2018). Engineering Heat Transfer. CRC Press, 692. doi: https://doi.org/10.1201/9781439883143
- Potter, M. C. (2019). Engineering analysis. Springer, 434. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-91683-5
- Tsapko, Y., Horbachova, O., Mazurchuk, S., Tsapko, А., Sokolenko, K., Matviichuk, A. (2021). Determining patterns in reducing the level of bio-destruction of thermally modified timber after applying protective coatings. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (10 (113)), 48–55. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2021.242899
- Tsapko, Y. V., Horbachova, O. Y. (2021). Establishment of moisture diffusion regularities through the polymer shell of thermally modified wood. Ukrainian Journal of Forest and Wood Science, 12 (1), 41–47. doi: https://doi.org/10.31548/forest2021.01.005
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Yuriy Tsapko, Oleksandra Horbachova, Serhii Mazurchuk, Аleksii Tsapko, Kostiantyn Sokolenko, Andrii Matviichuk
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.