Devising a method for reducing active power corona losses based on changing the structural parameters of a power transmission line
Keywords:power transmission line, structural parameters of power transmission line, power corona losses, line phase capacitance
This paper reports a study into the influence of the main design parameters of power transmission lines on energy losses associated with the corona discharge; a method has been devised to reduce them. The structure of the split-phase wire, the distance to the ground, and between the centers of the phases of the line are determined at the design stage. Based on these structural parameters, the value of specific energy losses associated with the corona discharge is calculated. Studying the impact exerted on the amount of losses by each structural parameter makes it possible at the design stage to determine the structure of a power transmission line (PTL) with low energy losses. Reducing energy loss when transporting it along the line is one of the most important issues in the strategy for the development of the energy industry at the stage of the "green transition". It has been established that most structural parameters have a weak effect on the values of corona losses, and, if there is a significant impact, the implementation of such solutions leads to a large increase in the cost of constructing an overhead transmission line. Based on the analysis of the results of calculations of corona losses in power transmission lines, it was determined that the corona losses in the middle phase of the transmission line are much greater than in the extreme phases. That has made it possible to devise a method for reducing power corona losses associated with the alignment of the capacities of all phases of PTL. This effect is achieved by calculating, based on the developed method, the splitting step of the middle phase of PTL. The calculation of the splitting step is based on the preliminary determination of the capacity of the extreme phases and the substitution of calculated values in the resulting expression for the splitting step. The possibility of such a reduction in corona losses should significantly increase the energy efficiency of AC power transmission lines, especially in areas with large periods of different weather that provoke the occurrence of a corona discharge on the wires of their phases. This circumstance causes an increase in this type of power loss.
- Breido, I., Kaverin, V., Voytkevich, S. (2018). Distribution of Power Losses on High-Voltage Supports. DAAAM Proceedings, 0329–0337. doi: https://doi.org/10.2507/29th.daaam.proceedings.047
- Shevchenko, S., Koval, A., Danylchenko, D., Koval, V. (2020). Energy Crisis and Electricity Reform of Ukraine - First Results. 2020 IEEE KhPI Week on Advanced Technology (KhPIWeek). doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/khpiweek51551.2020.9250119
- Diahovchenko, I., Mykhailyshyn, R., Danylchenko, D., Shevchenko, S. (2019). Rogowsky coil applications for power measurement under non-sinusoidal field conditions. Energetika, 65 (1). doi: https://doi.org/10.6001/energetika.v65i1.3972
- Kuchanskyy, V., Zaitsev, I. O. (2020). Corona Discharge Power Losses Measurement Systems in Extra High Voltage Transmissions Lines. 2020 IEEE 7th International Conference on Energy Smart Systems (ESS). doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/ess50319.2020.9160088
- Blinov, I., Zaitsev, I. O., Kuchanskyy, V. V. (2020). Problems, Methods and Means of Monitoring Power Losses in Overhead Transmission Lines. Studies in Systems, Decision and Control, 123–136. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-48583-2_8
- Riba, J.-R., Larzelere, W., Rickmann, J. (2018). Voltage Correction Factors for Air-Insulated Transmission Lines Operating in High-Altitude Regions to Limit Corona Activity: A Review. Energies, 11 (7), 1908. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/en11071908
- Leman, J. T., Olsen, R. G. (2020). Bulk FDTD Simulation of Distributed Corona Effects and Overvoltage Profiles for HSIL Transmission Line Design. Energies, 13 (10), 2474. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/en13102474
- Liu, Y., Chen, S., Huang, S. (2018). Evaluation of Corona Loss in 750 kV Four-Circuit Transmission Lines on the Same Tower Considering Complex Meteorological Conditions. IEEE Access, 6, 67427–67433. doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/access.2018.2878763
- Bousiou, E. I., Mikropoulos, P. N., Zagkanas, V. N. (2020). Corona inception field of typical overhead line conductors under variable atmospheric conditions. Electric Power Systems Research, 178, 106032. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2019.106032
- Tamazov, A. (2016). Poteri na koronu v vysokovol'tnyh vozdushnyh liniyah elektroperedachi. Moscow: Sputnik+, 572.
- Rukovodyaschie ukazaniya po uchetu poter na koronu i pomekh ot korony pri vybore provodov vozdushnyh liniy elektroperedachi peremennogo toka 330 – 750 kV i postoyannogo toka 800–1500 kV (1975). Moscow: STSNTI ORGRES, 87.
- Gul', V. I., Nizhevskiy, V. I., Homenko, I. V., Shevchenko, S. Yu., Chevychelov, V. A. (2009). Koordinatsiya izolyatsii i perenapryazheniya v elektricheskih vysokovol'tnyh setyah. Kharkiv, 270.
- Pravyla ulashtuvannia elektroustanovok (2017). Kyiv, 617. Available at: https://art-energetyka.com.ua/Правила-улаштування-електроустановок.pdf
- Aleksandrov, G. N. (1989). Ustanovki sverhvysokogo napryazheniya i ohrana okruzhayuschey sredy. Leningrad: Energoatomizdat. Available at: https://www.elec.ru/viewer?url=files/2019/11/26/aleksandrov-gn-ustanovki-sverhvysokogo-napryazheni.pdf
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Sergii Shevchenko, Eniola Olubakinde, Dmytro Danylchenko, Ihor Nazarenko, Natalia Savchenko, Larysa Shylkova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.