Determining the effect of fire from external air conditioning units on buildings' facades
Keywords:restriction of fire spread, fires of external air conditioning units, façade fires, temperature distributions on the façade of the building
This paper considers the issue of assessing the possible impact of fire in external air conditioning units on the evolution of façade fires using the example of a typical façade of the building. Current methods for assessing the effectiveness of limiting the spread of façade fires do not take into account the possibility of external fire load. Existing methods of studying the effects of combustible components in façade systems are intended only to investigate the reaction to the fire of façade systems. At the same time, it should be understood that modern façade systems include additional components that not only have a significant fire load but can be the cause of a fire. Taking that into consideration, a study was conducted on the impact of a possible fire of external air conditioning units on the development of its evolution by vertical structures in buildings. During the FDS modeling, the possibility of facing materials from a low combustibility group, which are typical for modern façade systems, is taken into account. Analysis of the fire load of the components included in the design of air conditioning units has made it possible to recreate the model of the combustion reaction of the main components and determine the value of its maximum intensity. The data on the thermal distributions on the surface of the façade made it possible to make assumptions about the necessary structural parameters that should be observed when determining the places of installation of baskets for air conditioners. The established dependences are a prerequisite for revising the criteria for assessing the potential fire danger of façade systems, which may include additional engineering systems. The derived dependences will make it possible to revise approaches to existing field procedures for assessing the fire danger of façade systems. The practical result of the implementation of these data may be amendments to building codes to increase the level of fire protection of façade systems and buildings in general
- Analitychna dovidka pro pozhezhi ta yikh naslidky v Ukraini za 12 misiatsiv 2018–2021 roky. Available at: https://idundcz.dsns.gov.ua/statistika-pozhezh/analitichni-materiali
- Protecting your home from an air conditioner fire. Available at https://www.conditionedairsolutions.com/protecting-your-home-from-an-air-conditioner-fire/
- Hunt, C. 6 Top causes of electrical fires (With Official Statistics): https://firefightergarage.com/electrical-fire-causes/#5_Air_Conditioners_3
- Fires involving air conditioning fan coil units (2008 – 2014) (2022). Fire Analysis Report, 1 (2). Available at: https://www.scdf.gov.sg/docs/default-source/scdf-library/far-issue-2.pdf
- Air conditioner fire prevention measures. Available at: https://americanhomewater.com/air-conditioner-fire/
- Old air conditioner dangers and potential hazards. Available at: https://climateexperts.ca/blog/8-old-air-conditioner-dangers-and-potential-hazards/
- The 5 Biggest HVAC Fire Hazards. Available at: https://www.irishheatandair.com/5-hvac-fire-hazards
- DBN V.1.1-7:2016 Fire safety objects of con-struction. General requirements (2016). Kyiv: Ministry of Regional Development, Construction and Housing and Communal Services of Ukraine, 12–36.
- BS 8414 Fire performance of external cladding systems. Test method for non-loadbearing external cladding systems fixed to, and supported by, a masonry substrate (2020). doi: http://doi.org/10.3403/02713743u
- DIN 4102-20 Fire behaviour of building materials and building components – Part 20: Complementary verification for the assessment of the fire behaviour of external wall claddings (2020). Available at: https://www.sis.se/en/produkter/environment-health-protection-safety/protection-against-fire/fireresistance-of-building-materials-and-elements/din-4102-20/
- Dréan, V., Schillinger, R., Auguin, G. (2016). Fire exposed facades: Numerical modelling of the LEPIR2 testing facility. MATEC Web of Conferences, 46, 03001. doi: http://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/20164603001
- DBN V.2.2-15:2019 Budynky i sporudy. Zhytlovi budynky. Osnovni polozhennia. Z Popravkoiu. Nakaz No. 87. 26.03.2019. Available at: http://online.budstandart.com/ua/catalog/doc-page?id_doc=59627
- Ning, Q., He, G., Sun, W., Fan, M., Li, X., Hong, Z. (2022). R290 leakage hazards assessment of a 1 HP split-type household air conditioner by concentration detection and ignition experiment. International Journal of Refrigeration. doi: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2022.04.005
- Jia, L., Jin, W., Zhang, Y. (2017). Experimental study on R32 leakage and diffusion characteristic of wall-mounted air conditioners under different operating conditions. Applied Energy, 185, 2127–2133. doi: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.01.041
- DBN V.2.2-9:2018 Budynky i sporudy. Hromadski budynky ta sporudy. Osnovni polozhennia (2018). Nakaz No. 260. 28.09.2018. Available at: https://dbn.co.ua/load/normativy/dbn/1-1-0-405
- Pro zatverdzhennia Pravyla pozhezhnoi bezpeky v Ukraini (2014). Nakaz MVS vid 30.12.2014. No. 1417. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0252-15#Text
- Li, K., Wang, J., Luo, S., Wang, Z., Zhou, X., Fang, J. et. al. (2020). Experimental investigation on combustion characteristics of flammable refrigerant R290/R1234yf leakage from heat pump system for electric vehicles. Royal Society Open Science, 7 (4), 191478. doi: http://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.191478
- Yang, S. C., Chuah, Y. K., Lei, M. Y. (2016). Feasibility study of using air-conditioning ducting for smoke exhaust. Paper presented at the ACRA 2016 – 8th Asian Conference on Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning.
- Gao, Z. M., Gao, Y., Chow, W. K., Wan, Y., Chow, C. L. (2018). Experimental scale model study on explosion of clean refrigerant leaked in an underground plant room. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 78, 35–46. doi: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2018.04.010
- EN 13501-1:2007+А1:2009 Fire classification of construction products and building elements – Part 1: Classification using data from reaction to fire tests. doi: http://doi.org/10.3403/30348263
- Ballo, Ya., Yakovchuk, R., Nizhnyk, V., Sizikov, O., Kuzyk, A. (2020). Іnvestigation of design parameters facade fire-preventing eaves for prevent the spread of fires on facade structures of high-rise buildings. Fire Safety, 37, 16–23. doi: http://doi.org/10.32447/20786662.37.2020.03
- Anderson, J., Boström, L., Jansson, R., Milovanovi ́c, B. (2015). Fire dynamics in facade fire tests: Measurement, modeling and repeatability. Applications of Structural Fire Engineering. doi: http://doi.org/10.14311/asfe.2015.059
- Nilsson, M., Mossberg, A., Husted, B., Anderson, J. (2016). Protection against external fire spread - Horizontal projections or spandrels? 14th International Fire Science & Engineering Conference, Royal Holloway College, 2, 1163–1174. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/306078631_Protection_against_external_fire_spread_-_Horizontal_projections_or_spandrels
- Fire statistics and study on air conditioning fires. Available at: http://www.nfec.org.sg/events_past/NFEC%20Prevention%20of%20Air%20Con%20Fires%20Workshop%202016.pdf
- DBN B.2.2-12:2019 Planuvannia ta zabudova terytorii (2019). Kyiv: Ministerstvo rehionalnoho rozvytku, budivnytstva ta zhytlovo-komunalnoho hospodarstva Ukrainy, 185.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Yaroslav Ballo, Roman Yakovchuk, Vadym Nizhnyk, Anna Borysova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.