Establishing regularities in the reduction of flammable properties of wood protected with two-component intumescent varnish
Keywords:protective equipment, fire-protected wood, indicators of fire danger of wood, weight loss, wood surface treatment
This paper reports the analysis of compositions for fire protection of wood that established that there are not enough data to explain and describe the process of fire protection and, accordingly, the fire-hazardous properties of wood, in order to protect people. The development and research of a set of properties of fire-resistant materials leads to the design of new types of such materials. The object of this study was a fire-protective two-component intumescent varnish for wood. The essence of the research is to determine the indicators of fire danger of wood, fire-protected by coatings, and the impact exerted on them by the formed heat-insulating layer of coke, making it possible to justify the effectiveness of the fire-retardant coating under the influence of temperature. The volume of fire-retardant and hydrophobic coating has been optimized, which ensures the lowest value of loss of mass by fire-protected wood during thermal action. Its lowest value was determined when using flame retardant in the volume of 589 g/m2 and a hydrophobic agent in the volume of 54 g/m2. When determining the combustibility of fire-resistant wood, it was established that the temperature of flue gases during tests was no more than 103 °C, the length of damage to the sample did not exceed 143 mm. At the same time, the weight loss did not exceed 19 g, and the independent burning of wood did not exceed 23 s. In addition, the wood withstood the surface effect of a heat flow of 35 kW/m2, while surface combustion did not occur, and the value of the coefficient of smoke formation was 432 m2/kg during the smoldering of the fire-proof sample. Unlike wood protection with fire-retardant swelling paint, the fireproof wood with two-component varnish, does not change color and refers to low combustibility materials; it is hard to ignite, dose not spread the flame by surface, with moderate smoke-forming ability. The practical significance is the fact that a certificate of conformity was issued based on the reported results. Thus, there are grounds to assert the possibility of directed adjustment of wood fire protection processes by using coatings that can form a protective layer on the surface of the material
- Krüger, S., Gluth, G. J. G., Watolla, M.-B., Morys, M., Häßler, D., Schartel, B. (2016). Neue Wege: Reaktive Brandschutzbeschichtungen für Extrembedingungen. Bautechnik, 93 (8), 531–542. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/bate.201600032
- Wang, Y., Zhao, J., Chen, J. (2020). Effect of polydimethylsiloxane viscosity on silica fume-based geopolymer hybrid coating for flame-retarding plywood. Construction and Building Materials, 239, 117814. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2019.117814
- Zhan, W., Chen, L., Cui, F., Gu, Z., Jiang, J. (2020). Effects of carbon materials on fire protection and smoke suppression of waterborne intumescent coating. Progress in Organic Coatings, 140, 105491. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.porgcoat.2019.105491
- Shi, X.-H., Chen, L., Zhao, Q., Long, J.-W., Li, Y.-M., Wang, Y.-Z. (2020). Epoxy resin composites reinforced and fire-retarded by surficially-treated carbon fibers via a tunable and facile process. Composites Science and Technology, 187, 107945. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2019.107945
- Lu, J., Li, L., Jiang, P., Chen, Z., Fontaine, G., Zhang, Y. et. al. (2022). Flammability properties of intumescent vinyl acetate–ethylene copolymer emulsion including natural carbonization agent. Polymer, 245, 124709. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2022.124709
- Wang, T., Liu, T., Ma, T., Li, L., Wang, Q., Guo, C. (2018). Study on degradation of phosphorus and nitrogen composite UV-cured flame retardant coating on wood surface. Progress in Organic Coatings, 124, 240–248. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.porgcoat.2018.08.017
- Ma, G., Wang, X., Cai, W., Ma, C., Wang, X., Zhu, Y. et. al. (2022). Preparation and Study on Nitrogen- and Phosphorus- Containing Fire Resistant Coatings for Wood by UV-Cured Methods. Frontiers in Materials, 9. doi: https://doi.org/10.3389/fmats.2022.851754
- Zhang, T., Huang, H., Ge, X., Zhang, Z., Li, P. (2022). Experimental study on hygrothermal accelerated aging effects of transparent fire resistive wood structure coatings. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2194 (1), 012038. doi: https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/2194/1/012038
- Son, D. W., Kang, M. R., Hwang, W. J., Lee, H. M., Park, S. B. (2014). Hygroscopic Property, Leaching Resistance and Metal Corrosive Efficacy of Wood Treated with Fire Retardants. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology, 42 (2), 157–162. doi: https://doi.org/10.5658/wood.2014.42.2.157
- Chu, T., Gao, Y., Yi, L., Fan, C., Yan, L., Ding, C. et. al. (2022). Highly fire-retardant optical wood enabled by transparent fireproof coatings. Advanced Composites and Hybrid Materials. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s42114-022-00440-3
- GOST 16363-98. Sredstva ognezaschitnye dlya drevesiny. Metody opredeleniya ognezaschitnykh svoystv. Available at: https://dnaop.com/html/42795/doc-%D0%93%D0%9E%D0%A1%D0%A2_16363-98
- Tsapko, Y., Tsapko, А., Bondarenko, O. (2019). Effect of a flameretardant coating on the burning parameters of wood samples. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (10 (98)), 49–54. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2019.163591
- DBN V.1.1-7:2016. Pozhezhna bezpeka obiektiv budivnytstva. Available at: http://kbu.org.ua/assets/app/documents/dbn2/32.1.%20ДБН%20В.1.1-7~2016.%20Пожежна%20безпека%20об’єктів%20будівни.pdf
- Tsapko, Y., Bondarenko, O., Pinchevska, O., Buys’kykh, N., Lakida, Y. (2019). Features of studying the efficiency of fire protection of a wooden wall with external exposure to the flame of combustible substances. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 708 (1), 012111. doi: https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899x/708/1/012111
- DSTU 8829:2019. Fire and explosion hazard of substances and materials. Nomenclature of indices and methods of their determination. Classification. Available at: http://online.budstandart.com/ua/catalog/doc-page?id_doc=82139
- Tsapko, Y. V., Tsapko, Yu. A., Bondarenko, O. P., Sukhanevych, M. V., Kobryn, M. V. (2019). Research of the process of spread of fire on beams of wood of fire-protected intumescent coatings. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 708 (1), 012112. doi: https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899x/708/1/012112
- DSTU B V.1.1-2-97. Building Materials. Ignitability Test Method. Available at: http://online.budstandart.com/ua/catalog/doc-page.html?id_doc=40059
- DSTU B V.2.7-70-98. Materialy budivelni. Metod vyprobuvannia na rozpovsiudzhennia polum'ya (HOST 30444-97). Available at: http://online.budstandart.com/ua/catalog/doc-page.html?id_doc=40051
- Tsapko, Y., Tsapko, А. (2017). Influence of dry mixtures in a coating on the effectiveness of wood protection from the action of a magnesium flame. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (10 (89)), 55–60. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.111106
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Yuriy Tsapko, Vasyl Lomaha, Roman Vasylyshyn, Oleksandr Melnyk, Volodymyr Balanyuk, Аleksii Tsapko, Olga Bondarenko, Anatolii Karpuk
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.