The method of additives in devising a gas chromatographic method to determine ionol and water in energy oils
Keywords:gas chromatography, extraction, energy oil, water, ionol, the method of additives/additive method
The paper presents the results of devising a method of extraction and gas chromatography for determining the content of ionol and waterin petroleum energy oils (transformer, turbine, compressor, and engine oils). The research was aimed at higher accuracy and fidelity of the methods of extraction and gas chromatographic determining of antioxidant additives (ionol and water) concentration in petroleum energy oils. This could be achieved through a comparative trial of the analyzed energy oil by the method of adding definite amounts of ionol and wateras their solutions in respective liquid extractants. Meanwhile, the extractant added to the working sample of the analyzed energy oil must be ionol-free, and the content of the dissolved water must be minimal at the absence of free water.
We have identified the conditions for performing extraction and gas chromatography measurements. If the analyzed energy oil contains free water before identifying the ionol content, the oil is centrifuged for water separation and further dried with silica or sodium sulphate. The identified component is extracted from energy oil within 2 to 5 hours in the temperature range of 18-30 0С with stabilized temperature deviation range of no more than ± 2 0C. Ionol is extracted from energy oil at the value of the “acid number” indicator of less than 0.1 mg of KOH per 1 g of the analyzed energy oil. If the “acid number” indicatoris higher, the energy oil is subject to preliminary silica purification for reducing the indicator value. After the purification, the “presence of water-soluble acids” indicator must have a “lack of water-soluble acids” characteristic at рН = 6.0-8.0 for the aqueous extract from the purified energy oil. While determining water content in energy oil, the liquid extractant and water must be mixed at a room temperature and in any ratio without segregation. The devised methods of measurements allow determining the analyzed components within one trial of energy oil with the use of one gas chromatograph equipped with evaporators, thermal conductivity detector, and a flame ionization detector. The devised methods can be applied to determine ionol and water concentration in fresh, maintenance and regenerated energy oils for monitoring their quality indicators.
- SOU-N ITS 43.101: 2009 Acceptance, use and operation of transformer oils. Standards of Quality Assessment (2009). Kiev: KVITS: Ministry of Energy of Ukraine, 152.
- Emsley, A. M., Xiao, Х., Heywood, R. J., Ali, М. (2001). Degradation of cellulose insulation in power transformers. Pt. 3. Effects of oxygen and water on ageing in oil // IEE Proceedings - Science, Measurement and Technology, 147 (3), 115–110. doi: 10.1049/ip-smt:20000021.
- SOU NAEK 085:2015 Ekspluatacija tehnologichnogo kompleksu. Turbinni olyvy dlja energetychnogo obladnannja AES. Pravyla ekspluatacii' (2015). Kiev: NAEK «Energoatom»: Standart derzhavnogo pidpryjemstva «Nacional'noi' atomnoi' energogenerujuchoi' kompanii' «Energoatom», 53.
- Supervision and maintenance guide for mineral insulated oils in electrical equipment (2003). IEC publication 60422. Geneva, Switzerland, 15.
- Fluids for electrotechnical applications ‑ Unused mineral insulating oils for transformers and switchgear (2012). IEC publication 60296:2012-02. Geneva, Switzerland, 44.
- SOU NAEK 006:2011 Turbinni olyvy dlja energetychnogo obladnannja VP AES. Tehnichni vymogy do jakosti, umov pryjmannja ta zberigannja (2011). Kiev: NAEK «Energoatom»: Standart derzhavnogo pidpryjemstva «Nacional'noi' atomnoi' energogenerujuchoi' kompanii' «Energoatom», 50.
- DSTU 2572-94 Produkty himicheskie organicheskie zhidkie. Gazohromatograficheskij metod opredelenija vody. Obshhie ukazanija (1994). Kiev: Gosstandart Ukrainy, 10.
- RD 34.43.107-95. Metodicheskie ukazanija po opredeleniju soderzhanija vody i vozduha v transformatornom masle (1995). RAO “EJeS Rossii”, AO VNIIJe. Moscow, 17.
- Khelfane, I., Debche, A., Nacer, A., Beldjilali, A., Toudja, T., Moulai, H. (2014). Moisture and electrical discharges effect on naphthenic mineral oil properties. IET Science, Measurement & Technology, 8 (6), 588‑594. doi: 10.1049/iet-smt.2013.0262
- Fofana, I., Bouslimi, Y., Hemmatjou, H., Volat, C., Tahiri, K. (2014). Relationship between static electrification of transformer oils with turbidity and spectrophotometry measurements. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, 54, 38‑44. doi: 10.1016/j.ijepes.2013.06.037
- Detection and determination of specified antioxidant additives in insulating oils (1979). IEC publication 60666:1979-01. Geneva, Switzerland, 24.
- Lipshtejn, R. A., Shahnovich, M. I. (1983). Transformatornoe maslo. Third edition. Moscow: Jenergoatomizdat, 296.
- Kaanagbara, L., Inyang, H. I., Wu, J., Hilger, H. (2010). Aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbon balance in electric transformer oils. Fuel, 89 (10), 3114-3118. doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2010.02.013
- Georgiev, A., Karamancheva, I., Topalova, L. (2006). Evaluation of the antioxidation activity of ionol and piperidone towards transformer oil using FT-IR spectroscopy. Journal of Molecular Structure, 797 (1-3), 25‑33. doi: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2006.03.026
- RD 34.43.208-95 Metodika kolichestvennogo himicheskogo analiza. Opredelenie soderzhanij prisadok v jenergeticheskih maslah metodom vysokojeffektivnoj zhidkostnoj hromatografi (1995). RAO “EJeS Rossii”, AO VNIIJe. Moscow, 6.
- ASTM Standard D 4768-96. Standard Test Method for Analysis of 2,6-Ditertiary-Butyl Para-Cresol and 2,6-Ditertiary-Butyl Phenol in Insulating Liquids by Gas Chromatography (1996). ASTM International, 3.
- Zaitsev, S. V. Kishnevsky, V. A., Gulyaenko, B. A. (2013). Gas chromatographic determination of the distribution coefficients in the "transformer oil – ionol – extractant". Proceedings of Odessa Polytechnic University, 3 (42), 86–90.
- Mosevа, E. V., Srednitskaya, N. I., Kolodko, T. M. (2000). Definition ionol in industrial oils. Abstracts of the Mezhdunarnoy scientific conference. Resource-Environmental Technology: renewal and saving energy, raw materials and materials. Grodno, 145–146.
- Buzaev, V. V., Livov, Y. N., Smolenskaya, N. Y., Saposhnichov, Y. M. (1996). Gas chromatographic analysis of transformer oil content of air, water and ionol. Collection of articles. Methods and tools to assess the state of the power equipment. Issue 2. Petersbugsky Energy Institute for Advanced Studies; Ministry of Energy. St. Petersburg, 88–90.
- Neustroeva, I. V. (2005). Guidelines for the preparation and holding of the chromatographic analysis apрarat-software complex "Chromatec Crystal". Transformer oil. Determination of antioxidant additives ionol. SKB "Chromatec", Yoshkar-Ola, 33.
- Zajcev, S. V., Kishnevskij, V. A., Savich, S. L. (2014). Development of methods for the gas chromatogrphic determination of the content of dissolved components in the energy oils. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 6/6 (72), 34‑42. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2014.29389
- Zajcev, S. V., Bol'shakov, D. A., Jankovskij, G. K. (2011). Metody opredelenija kojefficientov raspredelenija ionola v sisteme «transformatornoe maslo – ionol - jetanol». Vybor uslovij i procedur vypolnenija izmerenij. Jelektricheskie seti i sistemy, 5,48–56.
- Mak, T., Westerwaal, R. J., Slaman, M. et al. (2014). Optical fiber sensor for the continuous monitoring of hydrogen in oil. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 190, 982‑989. doi: 10.1016/j.snb.2013.09.080
- Treybal, R. E. (1963). Liguid Extraction. Second edition. New York, 720.
- Khayam, U., Tsuchie, M., Thein, M., Hikita, M., Saito, T. (2013). Study on Dissolved Gas Due Tue Thermally Degraded Insulating Paper in Transformer Oil. Procedia Technology, 11, 257–262. doi:10.1016/j.protcy.2013.12.189
- DSTU ISO 8466-1-2001 Vyznachennja gradujuval'noi' harakterystyky metodyk kil'kisnogo himichnogo analizu. Chastyna 1. Statystychne ocinjuvannja linijnoi' gradujuval'noi' harakterystyky (ISO 8466-1:1990, IDT) (2002). Kiev: Derzhstandart Ukrai'ny, 18.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2015 Сергей Владимирович Зайцев, Виктор Афанасиевич Кишневский, Ирина Дмитриевна Шуляк
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.