Low-waste ion exchange technology of extraction of nitrogen compounds from water
Keywords:waste recycling, regeneration, ammonium, nitrates, ion exchange
The processes of sorption of nitrates on a lowbase anionite Dowex Marathone from acidic and neutral solutions were researched. It is shown that the application of the anionite in the main form provides effective extraction of nitrates from acidic solutions in the presence of chlorides and sulfates at high values of exchanging dynamic capacity of anionite by nitrates. The use of solutions of ammonia for the regeneration of anionite provides a complete restoration of the capacity of anionite with nonsignificant remnants of ammonia. Exhausted solutions after the regeneration and neutralization contain mostly ammonium nitrate, therefore they are suitable for the production of liquid fertilizers.
It was found that the extraction of the hardness ions from water on the cationites in acidic form increases the exchanging capacity of cationites on ammonium ions. During the process of water treatment it is advisable to use a twostage cationization while applying subacid cationite in acidic form during the first stage and highlyacid cationite also in acidic form. This scheme is reasonable during the water purification with high hydrocarbonate alkalinity. In other case the application of a subacid cationite is not effective.
It is shown that the cationite in the ammonium form is advisable to regenerate by the solutions of nitric acid, which provides the recycling of exhausted regenerative solutions with obtaining liquid fertilizers.The conceptual technological scheme of a lowwaste technology of water purification from nitrogen compounds was designed, based on a twostage cationization of water on the cationites in acidic form and extraction of anions on the lowbase anionite in the main form, which provides an effective extraction of nitrogen compounds from the water.
- Piatek, K. B., Mitchell, M. J., Silva, S. R., Kendall, C. (2005). Sources of Nitrate in Snowmelt Discharge: Evidence From Water Chemistry and Stable Isotopes of Nitrate. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, 165 (1-4), 13–35. doi: 10.1007/s11270-005-4641-8
- Singleton, M. J., Woods, K. N., Conrad, M. E., DePaolo, D. J., Dresel, P. E. (2005). Tracking Sources of Unsaturated Zone and Groundwater Nitrate Contamination Using Nitrogen and Oxygen Stable Isotopes at the Hanford Site, Washington. Environmental Science & Technology, 39 (10), 3563–3570. doi: 10.1021/es0481070
- Malovanyy, A., Sakalova, H., Yatchyshyn, Y., Plaza, E., Malovanyy, M. (2013). Concentration of ammonium from municipal wastewater using ion exchange process. Desalination, 329, 93–102. doi: 10.1016/j.desal.2013.09.009
- Öztürk, N., Bektaş, T. E. (2004). Nitrate removal from aqueous solution by adsorption onto various materials. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 112 (1-2), 155–162. doi: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2004.05.001
- Shandrovych, V. T., Malovanyi, M. S., Malovanyi, A. M. (2014). Zastosuvannia ANAMMOX-protsesu dlia ochyshchennia stichnykh vod vid spoluk azotu. Visnyk Natsionalnoho universytetu «Lvivska politekhnika». Khimiia, tekhnolohiia rechovyn ta yikh zastosuvannia, 787, 352–357.
- Malovanyy, A., Plaza, E., Trela, J. (2009). Evaluation of factors influencing specific Anammox activity using surface modeling. In Proc. of Polish-Ukrainian-Swedish seminar “Research and application of new technologies in wastewater treatment and municipal solid waste disposal in Ukraine, Sweden and Poland”, 35–45.
- Ievleva, O. S., Goncharuk, V. V. (2006). Metodyi udaleniya nitratov iz prirodnyih i pitevyih vod. Himiya i tehnologiya vodyi, 28 (3), 256–273.
- Honcharuk, V. V., Balakina, M. M., Osypenko, V. O., Kucheruk, D. D., Shvydenk, V. Z. (2010). Mozhlyvosti zvorotnoho osmosu nyzkoho tysku v ochyshchenni pryrodnykh vod vid mineralnoho azotu. Dopovidi Natsioanlnoi akademii nauk Ukrainy, 3, 194–199.
- Honcharuk, V. V., Osipenko, V. O., Balakina, M. N., Kucheruk, D. D. (2013). Ochistka vodyi ot nitratov metodom obratnogo osmosa nizkogo davleniya. Himiya i tehnologiya vodyi, 35 (3), 125–131.
- Osipenko, V. O., Balakina, M. N., Kucheruk, D. D. (2015). Elektrodializnaya ochistka solonovatyh vod ot nitratov s polucheniem ammoniynyh udobreniy. Himiya i tehnologiya vody, 37 (1), 75–84.
- Sahli, M. A. M., Tahaikt, M., Achary, I., Taky, M., Elhanouni, F., Hafsi, M. et. al. (2004). Technical optimisation of nitrate removal from ground water by electrodialysis using a pilot plant. Desalination, 167, 359. doi: 10.1016/j.desal.2004.06.146
- Polatides, C., Dortsiou, M., Kyriacou, G. (2005). Electrochemical removal of nitrate ion from aqueous solution by pulsing potential electrolysis. Electrochimica Acta, 50 (25-26), 5237–5241. doi: 10.1016/j.electacta.2005.01.057
- Lozovskiy, A. V., Stolyarova, I. V., Prihodko, R. V., Goncharuk, V. V. (2009). Issledovanie fotokataliticheskoy aktivnosti Ag/TiO2 katalizatorov reaktsii vosstanovleniya nitrat-ionov v vodnyh sredah. Himiya i tehnologiya vody, 31 (6), 631–642.
- Homelia, M. D., Holtvianytska, O. V., Shablii, T. O. (2012). Otsinka efektyvnosti anionitiv v malovidkhodnykh protsesakh ochyshchennia vody vid nitrativ. Visnyk Natsionalnoho tekhnichnoho universytetu «KhPI», 1, 84–90.
- Homelia, M. D., Hrabitchenko, V. M., Trus, I. M. (2015). Otsinka vplyvu khlorydiv na ionoobminne ochyshchennia vody vid nitrativ. Ekolohyia y promishlennost, 1 (45), 61–65.
- Andriyash, S. V., Gomelya, I. N., Shabliy, T. A. (2007). Regeneratsiya kationita KU–2–8 pri sozdanii maloothodnyh tehnologiy umyagcheniya i obessolivaniya vody. Ekotehnologii i resursosberezhenie, 2, 34–39.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Ganna Trokhymenko, Mykola Gomelya, Tetyana Shabliy
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.