Simulation of the phase transformation front advancement during the swelling of fire retardant coatings
Keywords:intumescent coatings, oven temperature, weight loss, surface treatment, phase transformation front
Description of the intumescent coating behavior at the time of formation of the porous structure is a separate and challenging task, covering both stages of the thermal insulation process: swelling of the coating and subsequent heat transfer which is formed by the swelling. Therefore, there is a need to study the formation conditions of a barrier for heat conduction and reveal a mechanism of phase transition from the coating film to the coke layer. In this regard, the mathematical model of the phase transformation front advancement during the swelling of fire-proof coatings is developed. According to the dependencies, it is found that the front line of the phase transformations of the coating under high temperature passes instantly. It is foundexperimentally that under the action of the heat flux on the samples for a short time at 190÷200 °C, there is an intense swelling of the coating, the height of the expanded foam coke layer increased to 22÷38 mm. As a result of testing, it is revealed that the phase transformation front moves in the direction of high temperature to form foam coke. The foaming front boundary line in the form of a thin layer, which is slightly shifted towards the temperature, divides the coating into two parts. On the one side, there is a swollen coke layer, the outer part of which moves at a certain speed, on the other side – the layer of the source material, where the temperature is not sufficient to start the foaming process and the speed of transformations is zero.
- Gyvlyoud, M. M., Bashynskiy, О. І., Vovk, S. Ya. (2011). Temperaturostiyki sylikatni zahysni pokryttya dlya metaliv ta splaviv na osnovi napovnenogo polimetylfenilsyloksanu. Zbirnyk naukovyh prazch Lvivskogo derzhavnogo universytetu BZHD, 18, 40–45.
- Artemenko, V. V. (2014). Eksperementalni doslidzhennya vognezahysnyh pokryttiv metalevyh konstruktsiy na osnovi napovnenyh polialyumosyloksaniv. Zbirnyk naukovyh prazch LDU BZHD. Pozhezhna bezpeka, 25, 6–11.
- Timofeeva, S. V., Malyasova, A. S., Helevina, O. G. (2011). Materialy ponizhenoy pozharnoy opasnosti s pokrytiem na osnove zhidkih siloksanovyh kauchukov, otverzhdennyh metodom poliprisoedineniya. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost, 20 (9), 22–25.
- Antsupov, E. V., Rodivilov, S. M. (2011). Antipireny dlya poristyh materialov. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost, 20 (5), 25–32.
- Gravit, M. V. (2013). Issledovanie vliyaniya razlichnyh faktotov nakoefitsient vspuchivaniya organorastvorimyh ognezaschitnyh pokrytiy. Lakokrasochnye materialy i ih primenenie, 6, 12–16.
- Nenahov, S. A., Pimenova, V. P. (2010). Fiziko-himiya vspenivayushchihsya ognezashchitnyh pokrytij na osnove polifosfata ammoniya (obzor literatury). Pozharovzryvobezopasnost, 19 (8), 11–58.
- Khalturinskiy, N. A., Rudakova, T. A. (2013). O mehanizme obrazovanija ognezaschitnyh vspuchivajuschihsja pokritijy. Izvestija JuFU. Tehnicheskie nauki, 8, 220–232.
- Sharshanov, A. Ja. (2001). Matematicheskaja model’ vspuchivajuschihsja ognezschitnih pokritijy. Problemi pozharnoy bezopasnosti, 30, 273–280.
- Cirpici, B. K., Wang, Y. C., Rogers, B. (2016). Assessment of the thermal conductivity of intumescent coatings in fire. Fire Safety Journal, 81, 74–84. doi: 10.1016/j.firesaf.2016.01.011
- Fan, F., Xia, Z., Li, Q., Li, Z. (2013). Effects of inorganic fillers on the shear viscosity and fire retardant performance of waterborne intumescent coatings. Progress in Organic Coatings, 76 (5), 844–851. doi: 10.1016/j.porgcoat.2013.02.002
- Kryvenko, P., Tsapko, Y., Guzii, S., Kravchenko, A. (2016). Determination of the effect of fillers on the intumescent ability of the organic-inorganic coatings of building constructions. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (10 (83)), 26–31. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2016.79869
- Taganov, I. N. (1979). Modelirovanie processov maso- I energoperenosa. Nelineynie sistemi. Leningrad: Himija, 208.
- Nenahov, S. A., Pimenova, V. P. (2011). Dinamika vspenivaniya ognezaschitnyh pokrytiy na osnovi organo-neorganicheskih sostavov. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost, 20 (8), 17–24.
- Samarskiy, A. A., Vabischevich, V. P. (2003). Vichislitelnaja teploperedacha. Мoscow: Editoril URSS, 784.
- Bahvalov, N. S., Zhidkov, N. P., Kobel’kov, G. M. (1987). Chislennie metodi. Мoscow: Nauka, 600.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Yuriy Tsapko, Аleksii Tsapko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.