Developing a controller for registering passenger flow of public transport for the "smart" city system
Keywords:"Smart" city, controller for registering passenger flow of public transport, Petri networks, Raspberry Pi
A structure of the controller for registering passenger flow of public transport was developed, which includes the single board computer Raspberry Pi; GSM module; GPS module; controller of battery powered device; controller of the emergency restart of the device; button for registering passengers enjoying privileges; camera for registering passengers enjoying privileges and camera for registering passenger flow in a transportation vehicle. A built structure is characterized by the modular organization, which makes it possible to quickly upgrade the designed device. An algorithm of functioning of the controller of registering passenger flow of public transport and specialized software for implementing the functions of the controller were developed. A special feature of the software is the possibility of expanding functionality of the designed device in the process of upgrading the controller. Programming of the microcontroller was perforned in the language C, and programming of the controller based on Raspberry Pi 2 Model B was performed in Python. We built a model of functioning of the controller based on the Petri networks, which allows exploring dynamics of the system and identifying all possible states of the designed system. Authors developed technical support of the controller for registering passenger flow of public transport on the base of the single board computer Raspberry Pi, which ensures competitive price and the required functionality of the project solution.
The resulting technical solution in the form of the controller for registering passenger flow of public transport of the system for managing transport flows of a "smart" city is characterized by low cost, required accuracy of calculating passengers and is the optimal project solution with wide functional capacities.
The designed device was implemented and tested at the auto transportation enterprises "Mens-Auto" and "Etalon" in Ternopil (Ukraine).
- Byun, J. H., Kim, S. Y., Sa, J. H., Shin, Y. T., Kim, S. P., Kim, J. B. (2016). Smart city implementation models based on IoT (Internet of Things) technology. Proceedings of Advanced Science and Technology Letters, 129, 209–212. doi: 10.14257/astl.2016.129.41
- Gaur, A., Scotney, B., Parr, G., McClean, S. (2015). Smart City Architecture and its Applications Based on IoT. Procedia Computer Science, 52, 1089–1094. doi: 10.1016/j.procs.2015.05.122
- Park, Y., Rue, S. (2015). Analysis on Smart City service technology with IoT. Korea institute of information Technology Review, 13 (2), 31–37.
- Nowicka, K. (2014). Smart City Logistics on Cloud Computing Model. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 151, 266–281. doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.10.025
- Boreiko, O., Teslyuk, V. (2016). Structural Model Of Passenger Counting And Public Transport Tracking System Of Smart City. In Proc. of the ХII-h International Conference on Perspective Technologies and Methods in MEMS Design, MEMSTECH’2016, 124–126.
- Public Mobility. Available at: https://www.dilax.com/public-mobility/
- Counting in Vehicles: Passenger Counting Systems and Passenger Counters. Available at: http://www.infodev.ca/vehicles/products-and-passenger-counters.html
- People and Passenger Counting. Available at: http://www.eurotech.com/en/products/devices/people+passenger+counters
- Eurotech. Available at: http://www.eurotech.com/
- Protection Group. Available at: http://or-za.com/
- Bus without conductor - record passenger traffic in Vinnitsa shuttles are hidden microcomputers. Available at: http://vlasno.info/ekonomika/3/nashi-groshi/item/906-avtobus-bez-konduktora-oblik-pasazhyropotoku-u-vinnytskykh-marshrutkakh-rakhuiut-prykhovani-mikrokomp-iutery
- SVT Navigator. Available at: http://svt-navigator.pulscen.com.ua/
- GPS System. Available at: http://gps-system.com.ua/
- Zhytomyr passenger count. Available at: http://zt-rada.gov.ua/news/p6015
- Klauser, D., Bärwolff, G., Schwandt, H. (2015). A TOF-based automatic passenger counting approach in public transportation systems. AIP Conf. Proc. doi: 10.1063/1.4913168
- Bojko, Yu. O. (2015). The introduction of the automated control system for fare payment with mobile module NFC in public transport. Technology Audit and Production Reserves, 4 (2 (24)), 24–29. doi: 10.15587/2312-8372.2015.47905
- Bezrukov, A. (2013). Payment control directions ASKOP. Moscow, 23.
- Lengvenis, P., Simutis, R., Vaitkus, V., Maskeliunas, R. (2013). Application Of Computer Vision Systems For Passenger Counting In Public Transport. Electronics and Electrical Engineering, 19 (3), 69–72. doi: 10.5755/j01.eee.19.3.1232
- Patlins, A., Kunicina, N. (2015). The new approach for passenger counting in public transport system. 2015 IEEE 8th International Conference on Intelligent Data Acquisition and Advanced Computing Systems: Technology and Applications (IDAACS). doi: 10.1109/idaacs.2015.7340700
- Karvinen, Т., Karvinen, К., Valtakari, В. (2015). Make sensors projects touch-based devices Arduino and Raspberry Pi. Мoscow: ООО “I. D. Williams”, 432.
- Richardson, M., Wallace, S. (2012). Getting Started with Raspberry Pi. Sebastopol, O’Reilly Media, 161.
- Teslyuk, V. M., Beregovskyi, V. V., Pukach, A. I. (2013). Development of smart house system model based on colored petri nets. In Proc. of the XVIIIth International Seminar / Workshop On Direct And Inverse Problems Of Electromagnetic And Acoustic Wave Theory (DIPED – 2013), 205–208.
- AL-Rousan, M., Al-Ali, A. R., Darwish, K. (n.d.). GSM-based mobile tele-monitoring and managment system for inter-cities public transportations. 2004 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology, 2004. IEEE ICIT’04, 859–862. doi: 10.1109/icit.2004.1490187
- Patlins, A., Kunicina, N. (2014). The use of remote sensing technology for the passenger traffic flow dynamics study and analysis. In Proc. of the 18th International Conference “Transport Means”, 63–66.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Vasyl Teslyuk, Oleh Boreiko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.