Mathematical modeling of air coolers of indirect evaporative type
Keywords:indirect cooling, evaporation of water, heat and mass transfer, cross-flow, channel of a complex profile, counter-flow
The method of integrated modeling of interconnected heat and mass transfer processes in air coolers of evaporative type has been developed.
Air cooler of indirect evaporative type was taken as the object of research. Water was used as the evaporating agent. Basic schemes of airflows were considered: cross-flow and counter-flow. Partitioning of the problem into a number of subtasks (air flow distribution among channels, heat and mass transfer in the channel system) was proposed. Decomposition of the device structure into a number of elements was done. Mathematical models of interconnected processes of heat and mass transfer are given as a system of nonlinear ordinary differential equations in a one-dimensional statement. The developed efficient methods of joint solution of the mathematical model equations were used in simulation. A modified robust method for simulation of media flows in the channels of a complex profile (two-dimensional fields of velocity and temperature) was proposed. Joint solution of continuity equations, Navier-Stokes equation (in projections to the coordinate axes), Fourier equation and pressure equation was carried out. The method is invariant as to the channel shape and the properties of the working media. The method of calculation of heat exchange coefficients with the use of the obtained velocity and temperature fields is set forth. This enables to refine results of modeling of the processes proceeding in coolers. Computational and full-size experiments for a number of designs and operation conditions of air coolers were conducted. Comparative analysis of the obtained results has shown reliability of the proposed methods of mathematical modeling. Discrepancy between the calculated and experimental values of the cooled air temperature did not exceed 0.5 °C.The described method of mathematical modeling enables obtaining reliable information necessary to optimize the design and working conditions of coolers. The developed method of mathematical modeling of the heat and mass transfer processes can be used for a detailed study of various types of heat exchangers.
- Gasparella, A., Longo, G. A. (2003). Indirect evaporative cooling and economy cycle in summer air conditioning. International Journal of Energy Research, 27 (7), 625–637. doi: 10.1002/er.899
- Anisimov, S., Pandelidis, D. (2015). Theoretical study of the basic cycles for indirect evaporative air cooling. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 84, 974–989. doi: 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2015.01.087
- Doroshenko, A. V., Kirillov, V. H., Antonova, A. R., Ljudnickij, K. V., Melehin, V. V. (2016). Direct (cooling tower) and indirect types gases and liquids evaporative coolers with lowered cooling limit. Holodyl'na tehnika ta tehnologija, 52 (4), 21–35.
- Anisimov, S., Pandelidis, D. (2012). Numerical study of the cross-flow heat and mass exchanger for indirect evaporative cooling. Proceedings of the X-th international scientific conference „Indoor Air and Environment Quality”. Budapest, 149–156.
- Barakov, A. B., Dubanin, V. Ju., Prutskih, D. A., Naumov, A. M. (2009). Modelirovanie teplomassobmena v vozduhoohladitele kosvenno – isparitel'nogo tipa. Vestnik Voronezhskogo gosudarstvennogo tehnicheskogo universiteta, 5 (11), 174–176.
- Kim, M.-H., Kim, J.-H., Choi, A.-S., Jeong, J.-W. (2011). Experimental study on the heat exchange effectiveness of a dry coil indirect evaporation cooler under various operating conditions. Energy, 36 (11), 6479–6489. doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2011.09.018
- Goldsworthy, M., White, S. (2011). Optimisation of a desiccant cooling system design with indirect evaporative cooler. International Journal of Refrigeration, 34 (1), 148–158. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2010.07.005
- Chandrakant, W., Satyashree, G., Chaitanya, S. (2012). A review on potential of Maisotsenko cycle in energy saving applications using evaporative cooling. International journal of advance research in science, engineering and technology, 01 (01), 15–20.
- Chelabchi, V. N., Chelabchi, V. N., Merkt, R. V. (2013). Simulation of branched systems with nonlinear elements. Sbornik nauchnyh trudov Sword, 4 (3), 85–90.
- Chelabchi, V. M., Chelabchy, V. V., Chelabchy, V. N. (2012). Chysel'ni metody. Odessa: ONMU, 39.
- Voronec, D. V., Kozin, D. E. (1984). Vlazhnyj vozduh. Termodinamicheskie svojstva i primenenie. Moscow: Energoizdat, 135.
- Petuhov, B. S., Shishkov, V. K. (Eds.) (1987). Spravochnik po teploobmennikam. Vol. 1. Moscow: Energoatomizdat, 560.
- Martynenko, O. G. et. al. (Eds.) (1987). Spravochnik po teploobmennikam. Vol. 2. Moscow: Energoatomizdat, 352.
- Patankar, S. V. (1980). Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow. McGrаw-Hill: Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, 205.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Vladimir Chelabchi
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.