Development of effective technique for the disposal of the Prunus armeniaca seed shells
Keywords:shell of Prunus armeniaca seeds, oxidative treatment, sorbent, full factorial experiment, optimization
AbstractWe proposed a new technique for the disposal of solid plant waste in the food industry, specifically solid shell of Prunus armeniaca seeds, by oxidative treatment with a hydrogen peroxide solution in an acetic acid medium, which makes it possible to obtain effective sorbent materials. We investigated the effect of oxidant concentration and time of the process on structural and sorption properties of plant sorbents. The experimental-statistical models of the process were obtained by employing a method of mathematical planning based on the mathematical processing of acquired experimental data. The optimal conditions for conducting the process using the generalized Harrington desirability function were determined. It was established that the optimal parameters that make it possible to obtain effective sorbents with the yield, the content of cellulose, lignin, and the efficiency of extracting methylene-blue from an aqueous solution of 50.3 %, 58.2 %, 12.7 % and 91.4 %, respectively, are the concentration of peroxide hydrogen of 9 % and a process time of 120 min. The application of the proposed technology enables efficient disposal of solid plant wastes, and obtaining the sorbents with high sorption characteristics. Such materials could be used in environmental science to solve the problems related to the contamination of water bodies by organic compounds, as well as enterosorbents in medicine and veterinary medicine
- De Oliveira Barud, H. G., da Silva, R. R., da Silva Barud, H., Tercjak, A., Gutierrez, J., Lustri, W. R. et. al. (2016). A multipurpose natural and renewable polymer in medical applications: Bacterial cellulose. Carbohydrate Polymers, 153, 406–420. doi: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2016.07.059
- Ugartondo, V., Mitjans, M., Vinardell, M. (2008). Comparative antioxidant and cytotoxic effects of lignins from different sources. Bioresource Technology, 99 (14), 6683–6687. doi: 10.1016/j.biortech.2007.11.038
- Galysh, V., Sevastyanova, O., Кartel, M., Lindström, M. E., Gornikov, Y. (2016). Impact of ferrocyanide salts on the thermo-oxidative degradation of lignocellulosic sorbents. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 128 (2), 1019–1025. doi: 10.1007/s10973-016-5984-7
- Kartel, M., Galysh, V. (2017). New Composite Sorbents for Caesium and Strontium Ions Sorption. Chemistry Journal of Moldova, 12 (1), 37–44. doi: 10.19261/cjm.2017.401
- Surovka, D., Pertile, E. (2017). Sorption of Iron, Manganese, and Copper from Aqueous Solution Using Orange Peel: Optimization, Isothermic, Kinetic, and Thermodynamic Studies. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, 26 (2), 795–800. doi: 10.15244/pjoes/60499
- Kasapidou, E., Sossidou, E., Mitlianga, P. (2015). Fruit and Vegetable Co-Products as Functional Feed Ingredients in Farm Animal Nutrition for Improved Product Quality. Agriculture, 5 (4), 1020–1034. doi: 10.3390/agriculture5041020
- Sarkar, S., Pal, S., Chanda, S. (2016). Optimization of a Vegetable Waste Composting Process with a Significant Thermophilic Phase. Procedia Environmental Sciences, 35, 435–440. doi: 10.1016/j.proenv.2016.07.026
- Šoštarić, T., Petrović, M., Milojković, J., Petrović, J., Stanojević, M., Lačnjevac, Č., Stojanović, M. (2015). Biosorption of methylene blue by waste apricot shells from food industry. Journal of Engineering & Processing Management, 7 (1), 107–114. doi: 10.7251/jepmen1507107s
- Ozdemir, I., Şahin, M., Orhan, R., Erdem, M. (2014). Preparation and characterization of activated carbon from grape stalk by zinc chloride activation. Fuel Processing Technology, 125, 200–206. doi: 10.1016/j.fuproc.2014.04.002
- Galysh, V. V., Kartel', N. T., Milyutin, V. V., Bakalinskaya, O. N. (2014). Sintez i svoystva lignocellyulozno-neorganicheskih biosorbentov. Energotekhnologii i resursosberezhenie, 3, 28–34.
- Conrad, E. K., Nnaemeka, O. J., Chris, A. O. (2015). Adsorption removal of Methylene Blue from aqueous solution using agricultural waste: equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies. American Journal of Chemistry and Materials Science, 2 (3), 14–25.
- Smitha, T., Thirumalisamy, S., Manonmani, S. (2012). Equilibrium and Kinetics Study of Adsorption of Crystal Violet onto the Peel ofCucumis sativaFruit from Aqueous Solution. E-Journal of Chemistry, 9 (3), 1091–1101. doi: 10.1155/2012/457632
- Mamleeva, N. A., Kharlanov, A. N., Lunin, V. V. (2012). Delignification of deciduous wood under the action of hydrogen peroxide and ozone. Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 87 (1), 28–34. doi: 10.1134/s0036024413010123
- Montgomery, D. C. (2017). Design and analysis of experiments. Wiley, 630.
- Obolenskaya, A. V., Shchegolev, V. P., Akim, G. L. et. al. (1965). Prakticheskie raboty po himii drevesiny i cellyulozy. Moscow: Lesnaya promyshlennost', 412.
- Trautmann, H., Weihs, C. (2005). On the distribution of the desirability index using Harrington’s desirability function. Metrika, 63 (2), 207–213. doi: 10.1007/s00184-005-0012-0
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Vita Halysh, Iryna Trembus, Irina Deykun, Alina Ostapenko, Alina Nikolaichuk, Galina Ilnitska
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.