Selection of a traffic management scheme at an intersection taking into consideration the traffic flow composition
Keywords:traffic composition, traffic flow, traffic management scheme, traffic delay
AbstractTraffic flows in large cities have a non-uniformed character of origin and changes. The main parameters are often sensitive to the changes in the environmental conditions, specifically, the time of the day, season, etc. The magnitudes that characterize traffic flows have a stochastic nature and therefore they are difficult to predict. According to this, indicators such as intensity, density and traffic speed over time and space are uneven. Taking this into consideration, during the development of traffic management schemes, there arises a necessity to take into consideration additional factors which are of probabilistic nature. This approach provides more opportunities in the traffic management process and makes it possible to use appropriate ways to choose traffic management methods in certain cases. This process involves detailed studies of traffic indicators. The approaches and methods for studying the main indicators of traffic flows were given. They include both field methods and simulation, which involves accounting of mathematical and physical patterns of traffic flows. It also makes it possible to predict the situation when choosing a traffic management scheme with the use of computer equipment. The results of the studies, which were conducted according to the described methods, were analyzed. These results indicate a close relationship between the relative traffic composition for the types of vehicles and the indicators of queuing and delays within the intersections. According to the results, mathematical dependences characterizing this relationship were obtained. It was established that the choice of a road traffic scheme at intersections should be made taking into consideration the traffic flow composition, as each regulation type is effective for a particular case
- Zambrano-Martinez, J., Calafate, C., Soler, D., Cano, J.-C., Manzoni, P. (2018). Modeling and Characterization of Traffic Flows in Urban Environments. Sensors, 18 (7), 2020. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/s18072020
- Polishchuk, V. P., Bakulich, O. O., Dziuba, O. P. et. al. (2014). Orhanizatsiya ta rehuliuvannia dorozhnoho rukhu. Kyiv: Znannia Ukrainy, 467.
- Liu, X., Lu, J. (2013). The Technology of Road Guide Signs Setting in Large Interchanges. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 96, 538–547. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.08.064
- Klinkovshteyn, G. I., Afanas'ev, M. B. (2001). Organizatsiya dorozhnogo dvizheniya. Moscow: Transport, 247.
- Jayasinghe, A., Sano, K., Nishiuchi, H. (2015). Explaining traffic flow patterns using centrality measures. International Journal for Traffic and Transport Engineering, 5 (2), 134–149. doi: https://doi.org/10.7708/ijtte.2015.5(2).05
- Vasiukovych, D. B. (2013). Vybir variantiv orhanizatsiyi rukhu na kiltsevykh peretynakh. Problemy rozvytku miskoho seredovyshcha, 10, 43–47.
- Xi, X., ZhaoCheng, H., WenBo, S., ZhanQiu, C., JunFeng, G. (2013). Traffic Impact Analysis of Urban Intersections with Comprehensive Waiting Area on Urban Intersection based on PARAMICS. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 96, 1910–1920. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.08.216
- Kratkoe rukovodstvo po vypolneniyu proektov v PTV Vissim 6. Available at: https://bespalovdotme.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/quickstart_vissim_6-0.pdf
- Jin, S., Wang, J., Jiao, J. (2013). The Study in Diamond Interchange Traffic Organization. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 96, 591–598. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.08.069
- Jamshidnejad, A., Papamichail, I., Papageorgiou, M., De Schutter, B. (2018). Sustainable Model-Predictive Control in Urban Traffic Networks: Efficient Solution Based on General Smoothening Methods. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 26 (3), 813–827. doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/tcst.2017.2699160
- Alex, S., Isaac, K. P. (2014). Traffic simulation model and its application for estimating saturation flow at signalised intersection. International Journal for Traffic and Transport Engineering, 4 (3), 320–338. doi: https://doi.org/10.7708/ijtte.2014.4(3).06
- Yu, Q., Zhou, Y. (2019). Traffic safety analysis on mixed traffic flows at signalized intersection based on Haar-Adaboost algorithm and machine learning. Safety Science, 120, 248–253. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2019.07.008
- Vasylieva, H. Yu. (2005). Tochnist otsinky zatrymok transportu na rehulovanykh perekhrestiakh u tsentrakh mist. Mistobuduvannia ta terytorialne planuvannia, 21, 37–52.
- Kovalenko, L. O. (2010). Doslidzhennia ta analiz kharakterystyk transportnykh potokiv na vulytsiakh mista. Visnyk KhNADU, 50, 80–83.
- Levterov, A., Denisenco, O., Yaruta, A. (2013). Determination of transport delays at signaled crossing. Vestnik Kharkivskoho natsional'nogo avtomobil'no-dorozhnogo universiteta, 61-62, 106–109.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Taras Postranskyy, Mykola Boikiv, Maksym Afonin, Roman Rogalskyi
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.