Design of an auger thermo-radiation dryer for drying plant-derived pomace
Keywords:auger thermo-radiation dryer, plant-derived pomace, drying kinetics, temperature field
This paper reports the improved model design of an auger thermo-radiation dryer for drying plant-derived pomace under a low-temperature mode (35...80 °C) to the resulting moisture content at the level of 8...13 % of solids. The dryer has an adjustable speed of auger rotation (3...4 min–1), of airflow (0.05...0.09 m/s), and is characterized by the uniform distribution of heat flux. It is equipped with an energy-saving two-circuit complex that utilizes secondary energy to heat primary air from 21.1 °C to 28.9 °C. The use of Peltier elements, installed at the heating technical surface of the dryer's auger, makes it possible to convert thermal energy into a low-voltage supply voltage for the autonomous supercharger and exhaust fans.
The duration of pomace drying in the model structure of the auger thermo-radiation dryer has been determined, in particular tomato pomace, with an initial content of 75 % of solids, which is 107 min. For apple pomace whose starting content of solids is 65 %, it is 98 min. For comparison, the duration of the convective drying of tomato pomace (75 % of solids) is 120 minutes. The drying was carried out at a temperature of 60 °C to the resulting moisture content of 10...12 % of solids. Organoleptic evaluation on the example of tomato pomace confirms the effectiveness of structural solutions in the auger dryer compared to the convective technique.
The results reported in this study could create conditions for the further design and implementation of the proposed structure of thermo-radiation dryer for drying plant-derived pomace involving an altered heat supply technique and the utilization of secondary energy. The designed structure of the device makes it possible to process and preserve the quality properties of plant-derived pomace, allowing the use of this product for a wide range of foodstuffs
- Niemira, B. A., Fan, X. (2014). FRUITS AND VEGETABLES | Advances in Processing Technologies to Preserve and Enhance the Safety of Fresh and Fresh-Cut Fruits and Vegetables. Encyclopedia of Food Microbiology, 983–991. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-384730-0.00428-6
- Das, I., Arora, A. (2017). Post-harvest processing technology for cashew apple – A review. Journal of Food Engineering, 194, 87–98. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2016.09.011
- Sucheta, Singla, G., Chaturvedi, K., Sandhu, P. P. (2020). Status and recent trends in fresh-cut fruits and vegetables. Fresh-Cut Fruits and Vegetables, 17–49. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-816184-5.00002-1
- El Sheikha, A. F. (2019). Tracing Fruits and Vegetables from Farm to Fork: Questions of Novelty and Efficiency. Production and Management of Beverages, 179–209. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-815260-7.00006-7
- Vincente, A. R., Manganaris, G. A., Ortiz, C. M., Sozzi, G. O., Crisosto, C. H. (2014). Nutritional Quality of Fruits and Vegetables. Postharvest Handling, 69–122. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-408137-6.00005-3
- De Laurentiis, V., Corrado, S., Sala, S. (2018). Quantifying household waste of fresh fruit and vegetables in the EU. Waste Management, 77, 238–251. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2018.04.001
- MOZ Ukrainy predstavylo rekomendatsiyi zi zdorovoho kharchuvannia. Available at: https://moz.gov.ua/article/news/moz-ukraini-predstavilo-rekomendacii-zi-zdorovogo-harchuvannja
- Román, G. C., Jackson, R. E., Gadhia, R., Román, A. N., Reis, J. (2019). Mediterranean diet: The role of long-chain ω-3 fatty acids in fish; polyphenols in fruits, vegetables, cereals, coffee, tea, cacao and wine; probiotics and vitamins in prevention of stroke, age-related cognitive decline, and Alzheimer disease. Revue Neurologique, 175 (10), 724–741. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neurol.2019.08.005
- Zagorulko, A., Zahorulko, A., Kasabova, K., Chervonyi, V., Omelchenko, O., Sabadash, S. et. al. (2018). Universal multifunctional device for heat and mass exchange processes during organic raw material processing. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 6 (1 (96)), 47–54. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.148443
- Sanchez-Siles, L. M., Michel, F., Román, S., Bernal, M. J., Philipsen, B., Haro, J. F. et. al. (2019). The Food Naturalness Index (FNI): An integrative tool to measure the degree of food naturalness. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 91, 681–690. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2019.07.015
- Battacchi, D., Verkerk, R., Pellegrini, N., Fogliano, V., Steenbekkers, B. (2020). The state of the art of food ingredients’ naturalness evaluation: A review of proposed approaches and their relation with consumer trends. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 106, 434–444. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2020.10.013
- Pashniuk, L. O. (2012). Food industry of Ukraine: state, tendencies and perspectives of development. Ekonomichnyi Chasopys-KhKhI, 9-10, 60–63. Available at: http://dspace.nbuv.gov.ua/bitstream/handle/123456789/48329/18-Pashniuk.pdf?sequence=1
- Zahorulko, A., Zagorulko, A., Yancheva, M., Ponomarenko, N., Tesliuk, H., Silchenko, E. et. al. (2020). Increasing the efficiency of heat and mass exchange in an improved rotary film evaporator for concentration of fruit-and-berry puree. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 6 (8 (108)), 32–38. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2020.218695
- Silveira, A. C. P. (2015). Thermodynamic and hydrodynamic characterization of the vacuum evaporation process during concentration of dairy products in a falling film evaporator. Food and Nutrition. Agrocampus Ouest. NNT: 2015NSARB269. Available at: https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01342521/document
- Cokgezme, O. F., Sabanci, S., Cevik, M., Yildiz, H., Icier, F. (2017). Performance analyses for evaporation of pomegranate juice in ohmic heating assisted vacuum system. Journal of Food Engineering, 207, 1–9. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2017.03.015
- Cherevko, O., Mykhaylov, V., Zagorulko, A., Zahorulko, A. (2018). Improvement of a rotor film device for the production of highquality multicomponent natural pastes. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (11 (92)), 11–17. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.126400
- Ding, Z., Qin, F. G. F., Yuan, J., Huang, S., Jiang, R., Shao, Y. (2019). Concentration of apple juice with an intelligent freeze concentrator. Journal of Food Engineering, 256, 61–72. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2019.03.018
- Zahorulko, A., Zagorulko, A., Fedak, N., Sabadash, S., Kazakov, D., Kolodnenko, V. (2019). Improving a vacuum-evaporator with enlarged heat exchange surface for making fruit and vegetable semi-finished products. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 6 (11 (102)), 6–13. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2019.178764
- González, M., Barrios, S., Budelli, E., Pérez, N., Lema, P., Heinzen, H. (2020). Ultrasound assisted extraction of bioactive compounds in fresh and freeze-dried Vitis vinifera cv Tannat grape pomace. Food and Bioproducts Processing, 124, 378–386. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbp.2020.09.012
- Sengar, A. S., Rawson, A., Muthiah, M., Kalakandan, S. K. (2020). Comparison of different ultrasound assisted extraction techniques for pectin from tomato processing waste. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 61, 104812. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultsonch.2019.104812
- Asem, M., Jimat, D. N., Jafri, N. H. S., Wan Nawawi, W. M. F., Azmin, N. F. M., Abd Wahab, M. F. (2021). Entangled cellulose nanofibers produced from sugarcane bagasse via alkaline treatment, mild acid hydrolysis assisted with ultrasonication. Journal of King Saud University - Engineering Sciences. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jksues.2021.03.003
- Cherevko, A., Kiptelaya, L., Mikhaylov, V., Zagorulko, A., Zagorulko, A. (2015). Development of energy-efficient IR dryer for plant raw materials. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 4 (8 (76)), 36–41. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2015.47777
- Zahorulko, A. M., Zahorulko, O. Ye. (2016). Pat. No. 108041 UA. Hnuchkyi plivkovyi rezystyvnyi elektronahrivach vyprominiuiuchoho typu. No. u201600827; declareted: 02.02.2016; published: 24.06.2016, Bul. No. 12. Available at: http://uapatents.com/5-108041-gnuchkijj-plivkovijj-rezistivnijj-elektronagrivach-viprominyuyuchogo-tipu.html
- Mohana, Y., Mohanapriya, R., Anukiruthika, T., Yoha, K. S., Moses, J. A., Anandharamakrishnan, C. (2020). Solar dryers for food applications: Concepts, designs, and recent advances. Solar Energy, 208, 321–344. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2020.07.098
- Dolgun, E. C., Karaca, G., Aktaş, M. (2020). Performance analysis of infrared film drying of grape pomace using energy and exergy methodology. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 118, 104827. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2020.104827
- Cherevko, O., Mikhaylov, V., Zahorulko, A., Zagorulko, A., Gordienko, I. (2021). Development of a thermal-radiation single-drum roll dryer for concentrated food stuff. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 1 (11 (109)), 25–32. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2021.224990
- Zhou, M., Li, C., Bi, J., Jin, X., Lyu, J., Li, X. (2019). Towards understanding the enhancement of moisture diffusion during intermediate-infrared drying of peach pomace based on the glass transition theory. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 54, 143–151. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2019.04.003
- Birtic, S., Régis, S., Le Bourvellec, C., Renard, C. M. G. C. (2019). Impact of air-drying on polyphenol extractability from apple pomace. Food Chemistry, 296, 142–149. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2019.05.131
- Kiptelaya, L., Zagorulko, A., Zagorulko, A. (2015). Improvement of equipment for manufacture of vegetable convenience foods. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (10 (74)), 4–8. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2015.39455
- Berthet, M.-A., Angellier-Coussy, H., Machado, D., Hilliou, L., Staebler, A., Vicente, A., Gontard, N. (2015). Exploring the potentialities of using lignocellulosic fibres derived from three food by-products as constituents of biocomposites for food packaging. Industrial Crops and Products, 69, 110–122. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2015.01.028
- Lammi, S., Le Moigne, N., Djenane, D., Gontard, N., Angellier-Coussy, H. (2018). Dry fractionation of olive pomace for the development of food packaging biocomposites. Industrial Crops and Products, 120, 250–261. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2018.04.052
- Sashnova, M., Zahorulko, A., Savchenko, T., Gakhovich, S., Parkhomenko, I., Pankov, D. (2020). Improving the quality of the technological process of packaging shape formation based on the information structure of an automated system. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3 (2 (105)), 28–36. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2020.205226
- Almena, A., Goode, K. R., Bakalis, S., Fryer, P. J., Lopez-Quiroga, E. (2019). Optimising food dehydration processes: energy-efficient drum-dryer operation. Energy Procedia, 161, 174–181. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2019.02.078
- Promyshlennaya sushka syr'ya dlya APK - obzor tekhnologiy. Available at: https://spark.ru/startup/yavadzhra/blog/16798/promishlennaya-sushka-siriya-dlya-apk-obzor-tehnologij
- Liao, M., He, Z., Jiang, C., Fan, X., Li, Y., Qi, F. (2018). A three-dimensional model for thermoelectric generator and the influence of Peltier effect on the performance and heat transfer. Applied Thermal Engineering, 133, 493–500. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.01.080
- Zahorulko, A., Zagorulko, A., Yancheva, M., Serik, M., Sabadash, S., Savchenko-Pererva, M. (2019). Development of the plant for low-temperature treatment of meat products using IR-radiation. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 1 (11 (97)), 17–22. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2019.154950
- Montenegro-Landívar, M. F., Tapia-Quirós, P., Vecino, X., Reig, M., Valderrama, C., Granados, M. et. al. (2021). Fruit and vegetable processing wastes as natural sources of antioxidant-rich extracts: Evaluation of advanced extraction technologies by surface response methodology. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 9 (4), 105330. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2021.105330
- Nakov, G., Brandolini, A., Hidalgo, A., Ivanova, N., Stamatovska, V., Dimov, I. (2020). Effect of grape pomace powder addition on chemical, nutritional and technological properties of cakes. LWT, 134, 109950. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2020.109950
- Altınok, E., Palabiyik, I., Gunes, R., Toker, O. S., Konar, N., Kurultay, S. (2020). Valorisation of grape by-products as a bulking agent in soft candies: Effect of particle size. LWT, 118, 108776. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2019.108776
- Zahorulko, A., Zagorulko, A., Kasabova, K., Shmatchenko, N. (2020). Improvement of zefir production by addition of the developed blended fruit and vegetable pasteinto its recipe. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (11 (104)), 39–45. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2020.185684
- Calvete-Torre, I., Muñoz-Almagro, N., Pacheco, M. T., Antón, M. J., Dapena, E., Ruiz, L. et. al. (2021). Apple pomaces derived from mono-varietal Asturian ciders production are potential source of pectins with appealing functional properties. Carbohydrate Polymers, 264, 117980. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2021.117980
- Canning solutions and food processing equipment. BESTEQ-Engineering. Available at: https://besteq.ru/
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Татьяна Михайловна Герасименко, Екатерина Петровна Сильченко, Анна Сергеевна Готвянская, Галина Васильевна Кирсанова, Нина Васильевна Будник, Алла Петровна Кайнаш, Людмила Александровна Положишникова, Ирина Владимировна Тараймович
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.