Development of a combined technology for hardening the surface layer of steel 38Cr2MoAl
Keywords:structural steel, surface hardening, combined treatment, laser treatment, nitriding, layer thickness, hardness
Development of new combined strengthening technologies for treatment of steel surface layer is a topical issue. Influence of conditions of combined hardening treatment on variation of properties of the surface layer of 38Cr2MoAl steel was studied. Experimental data have shown that thickness of the hardened layer of 38Cr2MoAl steel, depending on the process conditions of combined treatment, varied in the range 0.18 to 0.69 mm with the surface hardness being 10.5–12.5 GPa. Mathematical models of the hardened layer thickness and surface hardness were obtained depending on variation of velocity of the laser beam travel and duration of nitriding of steel following the combined treatment. In their structure, the models are regression equations. These regularities have practical technological significance and ensure prediction of values of the hardened layer thickness and surface hardness. Nomograms of simultaneous influence of velocity of the laser beam travel and duration of nitriding on thickness of the hardened steel layer and surface hardness were constructed. Nomograms make it possible to determine concrete conditions of hardening processing, starting from specified thickness of the hardened layer or the surface hardness of 38Cr2MoAl steel, respectively and also to solve inverse problems. This method is suitable for hardening hard-to-reach part sectios and local contact areas.
- Bataev, I. A., Golkovskii, M. G., Bataev, A. A., Losinskaya, A. A., Dostovalov, R. A., Popelyukh, A. I., Drobyaz, E. A. (2014). Surface hardening of steels with carbon by non-vacuum electron-beam processing. Surface and Coatings Technology, 242, 164–169. doi: 10.1016/j.surfcoat.2014.01.038
- Kivak, T. (2014). Optimization of surface roughness and flank wear using the Taguchi method in milling of Hadfield steel with PVD and CVD coated inserts. Measurement, 50, 19–28. doi: 10.1016/j.measurement.2013.12.017
- Lee, K.-H., Choi, S.-W., Suh, J., Kang, C.-Y. (2016). Effect of laser power and powder feeding on the microstructure of laser surface alloying hardened H13 steel using SKH51 powder. Materials & Design, 95, 173–182. doi: 10.1016/j.matdes.2016.01.079
- Rakhimyanov, K. M., Nikitin, Y. V., Semenova, Y. S., Eremina, A. S. (2016). Residual Stress, Structure and Other Properties Formation by Combined Thermo-Hardening Processing of Surface Layer of Gray Cast Iron Parts. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 126, 012019. doi: 10.1088/1757-899x/126/1/012019
- Mencik, J. (1996). Mechanics of components with treated or coated surfaces. Vol. 42. Solid Mechanics and Its Applications. – Springer Science & Business Media, 366. doi: 10.1007/978-94-015-8690-0
- Belkin, P. N., Kusmanov, S. A. (2016). Plasma electrolytic hardening of steels: Review. Surface Engineering and Applied Electrochemistry, 52 (6), 531–546. doi: 10.3103/s106837551606003x
- Kostyk, K. (2016). Development of innovative method of steel surface hardening by a combined chemical-thermal treatment. EUREKA: Physics and Engineering, 6, 46–52. doi: 10.21303/2461-4262.2016.00220
- Dhafer, W. A.-R., Kostyk, V., Kostyk, K., Glotka, A., Chechel, M. (2016). The choice of the optimal temperature and time parameters of gas nitriding of steel. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3 (5 (81)), 44–50. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2016.69809
- Yilbas, B. S., Toor, I., Karatas, C., Malik, J., Ovali, I. (2015). Laser treatment of dual matrix structured cast iron surface: Corrosion resistance of surface. Optics and Lasers in Engineering, 64, 17–22. doi: 10.1016/j.optlaseng.2014.07.008
- Fadhil, I. A., Kostyk, K., Akimov, O. (2016). The innovative technology of high-speed nitriding steel. Bulletin of the National Technical University «KhPI» Series: New Solutions in Modern Technologies, 42 (1214), 49–53. doi: 10.20998/2413-4295.2016.42.08
- Kostyk, K. (2015). Surface hardening of tool from steel 38Cr2MoAl complex chemical-heat treatment.Bulletin of the National Technical University «KhPI» Series: New Solutions in Modern Technologies, 39 (1148), 26–33.
- Mohanad, M. K., Kostyk, V., Demin, D., Kostyk, K. (2016). Modeling of the case depth and surface hardness of steel during ion nitriding. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (5 (80)), 45–49. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2016.65454
- Zvezdin, V. V., Spirin, A. A., Saubanov, R. R., Zvezdina, N. M., Fayruzova, A. R. (2016). Ion-plasma nitriding of machines and tools parts instrumental steels. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 669, 012067. doi: 10.1088/1742-6596/669/1/012067
- Campos-Silva, I., Ortiz-Dominguez, M., Elias-Espinosa, M., Vega-Moron, R. C., Bravo-Barcenas, D., Figueroa-Lopez, U. (2015). The Powder-Pack Nitriding Process: Growth Kinetics of Nitride Layers on Pure Iron. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 24 (9), 3241–3250. doi: 10.1007/s11665-015-1642-7
- Panfil, D., Kulka, M., Wach, P., Michalski, J., Przestacki, D. (2017). Nanomechanical properties of iron nitrides produced on 42CrMo4 steel by controlled gas nitriding and laser heat treatment. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 706, 63–75. doi: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2017.02.220
- Kulka, M., Panfil, D., Michalski, J., Wach, P. (2016). The effects of laser surface modification on the microstructure and properties of gas-nitrided 42CrMo4 steel. Optics & Laser Technology, 82, 203–219. doi: 10.1016/j.optlastec.2016.02.021
- Idan, A. F. І., Akimov, O., Golovko, L., Goncharuk, O., Kostyk, K. (2016). The study of the influence of laser hardening conditions on the change in properties of steels. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (5 (80)), 69–73. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2016.65455
- Kostyk, K. (2015). Development of the high-speed boriding technology of alloy steel. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 6 (11 (78)), 8–15. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2015.55015
- Demin, D. (2017). Strength analysis of lamellar graphite cast iron in the «carbon (C) – carbon equivalent (CEQ)» factor space in the range of C = (3,425–3,563) % and CEQ = (4,214–4,372) %. Technology audit and production reserves, 1 (1 (33)), 24–32. doi: 10.15587/2312-8372.2017.93178
- Demin, D. (2013). Adaptive modeling in problems of optimal control search termovremennoy cast iron. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 6 (4 (66)), 31–37. Available at: http://journals.uran.ua/eejet/article/view/19453/17110
- Kuryn, M. G. (2012). Synthesis of cold-hardening mixtures with given set of properties and optimization of technological regimes of their manufacturing. Technology audit and production reserves, 1 (1 (3)), 25–29. doi: 10.15587/2312-8372.2012.4872
- Dymko, E. P., Marinenko, D. V., Borisenko, S. V., Kravcova, N. V. (2016). Selection of criteria for interchangeability verification of special alloys on the example of nimonic. ScienceRise, 6 (2 (23)), 27–30. doi: 10.15587/2313-8416.2016.70356
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Alaa Fadhil І Idan, Oleg Akimov, Oleg Akimov, Oleg Akimov, Oleg Akimov, Kateryna Kostyk, Oleg Akimov, Kateryna Kostyk, Kateryna Kostyk, Kateryna Kostyk, Kateryna Kostyk
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.