Estimation of carrying capacity of metallic corrugated structures of the type Multiplate MP 150 during interaction with backfill soil
Keywords:residual deformation, carrying capacity, corrugated structure, modulus of elasticity, irregularity on the railroad track
We estimated the stressed state of a railroad structure with a large cross section spanning more than 6 m, which is made from metallic corrugated sheets of the type Multiplate MP 150. The stressed-strained state of the corrugated structure was estimated depending on the residual deformation of vertical diameter of the pipe, the modulus of elasticity of backfill soil, and the degree of compaction. The study conducted has demonstrated that maximum stresses occur on the horizontal sides of a metallic pipe, and maximum deformations – in the pipe vault.
It was established that an increase in the degree of compaction of backfill soil leads to a decrease in the stresses in a metallic pipe by almost half. The stresses grow much faster with an increase in irregularity on the railroad track. Numerical calculations have shown that the equivalent stresses exceed the permissible magnitude of 235 MPa when the degree of compaction of backfill soil is below 90 % and an operational irregularity on the track develops beyond the permissible magnitude.
Operational observations have shown that the pipe is most vulnerable, in terms of resistance against the formation of a plastic hinge, in the initial period of operation when the backfill soil has not yet reached the standard compaction. At the initial stage of operation of a metallic corrugated pipe it is necessary to improve the level of technological control in order to timely detect railroad track’s irregularities that exceed the standards, and to eliminate them.
Under normal operational conditions, a metallic corrugated structure has a rather large reserve of carrying capacity, which amounts to 80 %. However, these structures, despite their high initial strength margin, are very sensitive to an increase in external dynamic loads due to the occurrence of irregularity on the railroad track.
- Posibnyk do VBN V.2.3-218-198:2007 (2007). Sporudy transportu. Proektuvannia ta budivnytstvo sporud iz metalevykh hofrovanykh konstruktsiyi na avtomobilnykh dorohakh zahalnoho korystuvannia: Rekomendovano naukovo-tekhnichnoiu radoiu DerzhdorNDI vid 17 lystopada 2006 r. No. 14. Kyiv, 122.
- Koval, P. M., Babiak, I. P., Sitdykova, T. M. (2010). Normuvannia pry proektuvanni i budivnytstvi sporud z metalevykh hofrovanykh konstruktsiyi. Visnyk Dnipropetrovskoho natsionalnoho universytetu zaliznychnoho transportu, 39, 114–117.
- Luchko, Y. Y., Kovalchuk, V. V., Nabochenko, O. S. (2015). Study of carrying capacity of a corrugated metal construction by criterion of yield hinge development. Science and Transport Progress. Bulletin of Dnipropetrovsk National University of Railway Transport, 5 (59), 180–194. doi: 10.15802/stp2015/55340
- Sysyn, M., Kowaltschuk, W., Nabotschenko, O., Gerber, U. (2016). Die Tragfähigkeit von Eisenbahndurchlässen in Abhängigkeit von der Bauausführung und der Instandhaltung. ETR – Eisenbahntechnische Rundschau, 39–44.
- Luchko, Y. Y. (2013). Gruntoznavstvo, mekhanika gruntiv, osnovy ta fundamenty. Lviv: Kameniar, 320.
- Kovalchuk, V., Luchko, J., Bondarenko, I., Markul, R., Parneta, B. (2016). Research and analysis of the stressed-strained state of metal corrugated structures of railroad tracks. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 6 (7 (84)), 4–9. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2016.84236
- Wysokowski, A., Janusz, L. (2007). Mostowe konstrukcje gruntowo – powlokowe. Laboratoryjne badania niszczace. Awarie w czasie budowy i eksploatacji. XXIII konferencja naukowo-techniczna. Szczecin, 541–550.
- Esmaeili, M., Zakeri, J. A., Abdulrazagh, P. H. (2013). Minimum depth of soil cover above long-span soil-steel railway bridges. International Journal of Advanced Structural Engineering, 5 (1), 7. doi: 10.1186/2008-6695-5-7
- Ahad, F. R., Enakoutsa, K., Solanki, K. N., Tjiptowidjojo, Y., Bammann, D. J. (2013). Modeling the Dynamic Failure of Railroad Tank Cars Using a Physically Motivated Internal State Variable Plasticity/Damage Nonlocal Model. Modelling and Simulation in Engineering, 2013, 1–11. doi: 10.1155/2013/815158
- Novodzinskiy, A. L., Kleveko, V. I. (2014). Uchet vliyaniya tolshchiny gofrorovannogo elementa na prochnost' i ustoychivost' metallicheskoy vodopropusknoy truby. Vestnik PNIPU. Stroitel'stvo i arhitektura, 1, 81–94.
- Saat, M. R., Barkan, C. P. L. (2011). Generalized railway tank car safety design optimization for hazardous materials transport: Addressing the trade-off between transportation efficiency and safety. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 189 (1-2), 62–68. doi: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2011.01.136
- AASHTO: Standart Specifications for Highway Bridges (2011). American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, 444 N. Capitol St., N. W., Ste. 249, Washington, D. C.
- Handbook of steel drainage and highway construction products (2002). American Iron and Steel Institute. Canada.
- Waster, M. (2008). RORBROAR. Verifiering av nyutvecklat dimensioneringsprogram samt vidareutveckling for jernvagstrafik. Orebro University, Sweden, 143.
- Machelski, C. (2008). Modelowanie mostowych konstrukcji gruntowo-powlokowych. Dolno-slaskie Wydawnictwo Edukacyjne, 208.
- ODM 218.2.001-2009. Rekomendacii po proektirovaniyu vodopropusnyh metallicheskih gofrirovannyh trub: Rasporyazhenie Federal'nogo dorozhnogo agentstva ot 21 iyulya 2009 g. No. 252-r.
- Pettersson, L., Sundquist, H. (2007). Design of soil steel composite bridges. Structural Desing and Bridges, Stockholm, 84.
- Posibnyk do VBN V.2.3-218-198:2007 (2007). Sporudy transportu. Proektuvannia ta budivnytstvo sporud iz metalevykh hofrovanykh konstruktsiyi na avtomobilnykh dorohakh zahalnoho korystuvannia. Kyiv, 122.
- Mechelski, C. (2008). Vodelowanie mostowych konstrukcji gruntowo-powlokowych. Wrozlaw, 205.
- El-Sawy, K. M. (2003). Three-dimensional modeling of soil-steel culverts under the effect of truckloads. Thin-Walled Structures, 41 (8), 747–768. doi: 10.1016/s0263-8231(03)00022-3
- Machelski, C. (2010). Kinematic method for determining influence function of internal forces in the steel shell of soil-steel bridge. Studia Geotechnica et Mechanica, XXXII (3), 28–40.
- Elshimi, T. M. (2011). Three-dimensional nonlinear analysis of deep-corrugated steel culverts. Queen’s University Publ., 738.
- Barbato, M., Bowman, M., Herbin, A. (2010). Performance evaluation of buried pipe installation. Louisiana State University Publ., 123.
- Kovalchuk, V. V. (2015). The effect of corrugated elements thickness on the deflected mode of corrugated metal structures. Science and Transport Progress. Bulletin of Dnipropetrovsk National University of Railway Transport, 3 (57), 199–207. doi: 10.15802/stp2015/46079
- Pettersson, L., Leander, J., Hansing, L. (2002). Fatigue design of soil steel composite bridges. Archives of institute of civil engineering, 12, 237–242.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Vitalii Kovalchuk, Yuri Kovalchuk, Mykola Sysyn, Volodymyr Stankevych, Oleksiy Petrenko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.