Analysis of energy of internal waves in a threelayer semiinfinite hydrodynamic system
Keywords:weakly non-linear model, three-layer hydrodynamic system, internal waves, wave motion energy
Energy characteristics of waves propagation along the contact surfaces in a hydrodynamics system "liquid half-space – layer –layer with a rigid lid" are explored. Based on the solutions of first approximation to a weakly non-linear model, the integral relations for wave motion energy in each layer and for the total energy of the system were obtained. An analysis of energy of wave processes revealed that an increase in wave number causes a decrease in energy of wave motion of the upper layers, and energy of wave motion of the lower half-space at some values of wave number reaches extreme values. In this case, total energy of the system is descending in nature and rather quickly approaches its limit value.The numerical values of energy for three different cases of propagation of progressive waves were obtained: only along the upper contact surface, only along the lower contact surface, along both surfaces simultaneously. Comparison of the obtained values of energy revealed that in the case of waves propagation along both contact surfaces simultaneously, the total energy of the system is close to the sum of energies of the system at waves propagation along one of the surfaces
- Bona, J. L., Lannes, D., Saut, J.-C. (2008). Asymptotic models for internal waves. Journal de Mathématiques Pures et Appliquées, 89 (6), 538–566. doi: 10.1016/j.matpur.2008.02.003
- Wang, Y., Tice, I., Kim, C. (2013). The Viscous Surface-Internal Wave Problem: Global Well-Posedness and Decay. Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, 212 (1), 1–92. doi: 10.1007/s00205-013-0700-2
- Hsu, H.-C., Tsai, C.-C. (2016). Lagrangian approach to interfacial water waves with free surface. Applied Ocean Research, 59, 616–637. doi: 10.1016/j.apor.2016.08.001
- Jo, T.-C., Choi, Y.-K. (2014). Dynamics of strongly nonlinear internal long waves in a three-layer fluid system. Ocean Science Journal, 49 (4), 357–366. doi: 10.1007/s12601-014-0033-6
- Zhu, H., Wang, L., Avital, E. J., Tang, H., Williams, J. J. R. (2016). Numerical simulation of interaction between internal solitary waves and submerged ridges. Applied Ocean Research, 58, 118–134. doi: 10.1016/j.apor.2016.03.017
- Smith, S., Crockett, J. (2014). Experiments on nonlinear harmonic wave generation from colliding internal wave beams. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 54, 93–101. doi: 10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2014.01.012
- Massel, S. R. (2016). On the nonlinear internal waves propagating in an inhomogeneous shallow sea. Oceanologia, 58 (2), 59–70. doi: 10.1016/j.oceano.2016.01.005
- Avramenko, O. V., Naradovyi, V. V., Selezov, I. T. (2018). Energy of Motion of Internal and Surface Waves in a Two-Layer Hydrodynamic System. Journal of Mathematical Sciences, 229 (3), 241–252. doi: 10.1007/s10958-018-3674-7
- Avramenko, O., Lunyova, M., Naradovyi, V. (2017). Wave propagation in a three-layer semi-infinite hydrodynamic system with a rigid lid. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (5 (89)), 58–66. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2017.111941
- Nayfeh, A. H. (1976). Nonlinear Propagation of Wave-Packets on Fluid Interfaces. Journal of Applied Mechanics, 43 (4), 584. doi: 10.1115/1.3423936
- Tarapov, I. E. (2005). Continuum Mechanics. Vol. 3. Mechanics of Inviscid Liquid. Kharkiv: Zolotye Stranitsy.
- Avramenko, O. V., Hurtovyi, Yu. V., Naradovyi, V. V. (2014). Analiz enerhiyi khvylovoho rukhu v dvosharovykh hidrodynamichnykh systemakh. Naukovi zapysky. Seriya: Matematychni nauky, 73, 3–8.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Olga Avramenko, Maria Lunyova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.