Effect of flour made from waxy wheat on the structural–mechanical properties of dough for hardtacks without sugar
Keywords:waxy wheat flour, structural-mechanical properties of dough, hardtacks without sugar
AbstractWe have analyzed problems arising in the production of bakery products without sugar or with its reduced content. The technological properties of flour made from a new kind of wheat, the waxy wheat variety Sofiyka, which characterize the state of its protein-proteinase complex, were investigated. When evaluating the strength of this flour based on the structural-mechanical properties of the dough prepared from it, it was found that it is characterized as the weaker one compared to baking flour. We have substantiated the advantage of using the weaker amylose-free flour to manufacture products from yeast dough, specifically hardtacks, when substituting sugar with the Jerusalem artichoke powder. The lesser manifestation of the elastic properties of dough prepared from the waxy wheat flour, along with the high gas-forming capability, characteristic of it, would partially neutralize the difficulties arising in the manufacture of products on yeast without sugar. In the course of present research, we determined the effect of flour made from the waxy wheat and the Jerusalem artichoke powder, depending on the stage of its introduction, on a change in the structural-mechanical and surface properties of dough for hardtacks without sugar during its technological treatment ‒ resting-proofing and rolling. During resting, there is a decrease in the shear stress limit and an increase in the stickiness of the dough. Rolling is accompanied by the opposite influence ‒ an increase in its strength and a decrease in adhesion tension. The expediency of introducing the Jerusalem artichoke powder in equal parts at the stages of kneading the sponge dough and regular dough in the production of hardtacks has been shown ‒ these samples were characterized by the looser structure compared to the sample whose preparation involved introducing the Jerusalem artichoke powder when kneading the sponge dough. It was established that the combined application of flour made from the waxy wheat and the Jerusalem artichoke powder when preparing semi-finished products for hardtacks without sugar contributes to obtaining the dough with lower strength, adhesive properties, and elasticity, and a well-loosened structure, compared to control
- Sugar and Health (2015). Houses of Parliament. The Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology. Available at: http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/POST-PN-0493
- Guideline: Sugars intake for adults and children (2015). World Health Organization. Available at: http://www.who.int/iris/handle/10665/149782
- Zhang, G., Hasek, L. Y., Lee, B.-H., Hamaker, B. R. (2015). Gut feedback mechanisms and food intake: a physiological approach to slow carbohydrate bioavailability. Food & Function, 6 (4), 1072–1089. doi: https://doi.org/10.1039/c4fo00803k
- Manley, D. (2011). Manley’s Technology of Biscuits, Crackers and Cookies. Woodhead Publishing Limited. Cambridge, 632. doi: https://doi.org/10.1533/9780857093646
- Struck, S., Jaros, D., Brennan, C. S., Rohm, H. (2014). Sugar replacement in sweetened bakery goods. International Journal of Food Science & Technology, 49 (9), 1963–1976. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.12617
- Tańska, M., Roszkowska, B., Czaplicki, S., Borowska, E. J., Bojarska, J., Dąbrowska, A. (2016). Effect of Fruit Pomace Addition on Shortbread Cookies to Improve Their Physical and Nutritional Values. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 71 (3), 307–313. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11130-016-0561-6
- Dorokhovych, A. M., Dorokhovych, V. V., Kokhan, O. O., Mazur, L. S., Bozhok, O. S. (2016). Otsinka yakosti tsukrozaminnykiv za kompleksnym pokaznykom. Kharchova promyslovist, 20, 34–40. Available at: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Khp_2016_20_7
- Pourmohammadi, K., Najafi, H., Pourmohammadi, K., Majzoobi, M., Koocheki, A., Farahnaki, A. (2017). Evaluation of dough rheology and quality of sugar-free biscuits: Isomalt, maltodextrin, and stevia. Carpathian Journal of Food Science and Technology, 9 (4), 119–130.
- Kutyła-Kupidura, E. M., Sikora, M., Krystyjan, M., Dobosz, A., Kowalski, S., Pysz, M., Tomasik, P. (2015). Properties of Sugar-Free Cookies with Xylitol, Sucralose, Acesulfame K and Their Blends. Journal of Food Process Engineering, 39 (4), 321–329. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpe.12222
- Fernandez, M. L., Santos, M. E. S. M. (2018). Effects of consuming sweeteners on metabolic disorders. Journal of Nutrition, Food Research and Technology, 1 (2), 34–38. doi: https://doi.org/10.30881/jnfrt.00008
- Suez, J., Korem, T., Zeevi, D., Zilberman-Schapira, G., Thaiss, C. A., Maza, O. et. al. (2014). Artificial sweeteners induce glucose intolerance by altering the gut microbiota. Nature, 514 (7521), 181–186. doi: https://doi.org/10.1038/nature13793
- Zeynep, F., Sifa, T. (2014). Determination of the effects of some artificial sweeteners on human peripheral lymphocytes using the comet assay. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health Sciences, 6 (8), 147–153. doi: https://doi.org/10.5897/jtehs2014.0313
- Ayerton, D. K. (2009). Sekrety pitaniya. Moscow, 300.
- Meidjie, A. (2016). Metabolic Response of Slowly Absorbed Carbohydrates in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Springer, 135. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-27898-8
- Dragilev, A. I., Sezanaev, Ya. M. (2000). Proizvodstvo muchnyh konditerskih izdeliy. Moscow, 446.
- Iorhachova, K. H., Makarova, O. V., Hordiienko, L. V., Korkach, H. V. (2011). Tekhnolohiya kondyterskoho vyrobnytstva. Praktykum. Odessa, 208.
- Drobot, V. I. (2002). Tekhnolohiya khlibopekarskoho vyrobnytstva. Kyiv, 365.
- Davis, C. (2017). Inulin: Chemical Properties, Uses & Health Benefits. Nova Science Publishers Inc, 120.
- Kays, S., Nottingham, S. (2007). Biology and Chemistry of Jerusalem Artichoke: Helianthus tuberosus L. CRC Press, 496. doi: https://doi.org/10.1201/9781420044966
- Iorgacheva, E. G., Makarova, O. V., Hvostenko, E. V. (2010). Ispol'zovanie inulinsoderzhashchego syr'ya v tekhnologii hlebobulochnyh i konditerskih izdeliy. Kharchova nauka i tekhnolohiya, 1, 13–17.
- Iorgacheva, E. G., Makarova, O. V., Hvostenko, E. V., Gromova, A. V. (2011). Vliyanie inulinsoderzhashchego syr'ya na process brozheniya polufabrikatov dlya galet. Kharchova nauka i tekhnolohiya, 1, 6–9.
- Iorgachova, K., Makarova, O., Khvostenko, K. (2016). The rationale of selecting pastries to be made with waxy wheat flour. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (11 (80)), 12–18. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2016.65756
- Iorgachova, K., Makarova, O., Fateeva, A., Khvostenko, K. (2017). Intensification of fermentation of semi-finished products of hardtracks with lowered sugar content. Technics, technologies and education. Yambol of Trakia University, 363–367.
- Yu, X. R., Zhou, L., Zhang, J., Yu, H., Gao, D. R., Zhang, B. Q. et. al. (2015). Comparison of Structural Development and Biochemical Accumulation of Waxy and Non-waxy Wheat Caryopses. Cereal Research Communications, 43 (2), 307–317. doi: https://doi.org/10.1556/crc.2014.0038
- Lekarstvennoe rastenie topinambur. Available at: http://www.malva-topinambur.com
- Rybalka, O. I. (2011). Yakist pshenytsi ta yii polipshennia. Kyiv, 495.
- Lebedenko, T. Ye., Pshenyshniuk, H. F., Sokolova, N. Yu. (2014). Tekhnolohiya khlibopekarskoho vyrobnytstva. Praktykum. Odessa, 392.
- Iorgachova, K., Makarova, O., Khvostenko, K. (2018). The study of technological properties of waxy wheat flour and its influence on refined sugar-free hardtack`s dough. EUREKA: Life Sciences, 5, 54–62. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.21303/2504-5695.2018.00721
- Faridi, H., Faubion, J. M. (1990). Dough rheology and baked product texture. Springer, 628. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4613-0861-4
- Guan, L. (2008). Wet-milling of waxy wheat flours and characteristics of waxy wheat starch. Kansas, 95.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Katerina Iorgachova, Olga Makarova, Kateryna Khvostenko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.