Development of an approach for operative control over railway transport technological safety based on the identification of risks in the indicators of its operation
Keywords:systematic approach, technological safety, management decision, detection of statistical pattern
The paper addresses the mechanism of ensuring and management of traffic safety in railway traffic. It uses the actual statistics on the cases of violations of traffic safety along the railways of Ukraine over recent years. We have selected three departments for empirical research and justification of the need for a systematic approach. The departments account for 60 % of traffic accidents a year. The departments include a locomotive department, tracks department and carriages department. A systematic approach to technological safety management has been proposed. It uses safety violation statistics as input information. It systematizes each safety violation accident according to eight parameters that characterize location, time, type of case, its cause, guilty party, circumstances, motivation, and targeted damage. It creates the appropriate database with systematization parameters. The analysis of dynamics of traffic accidents in the one-, two-, and three-dimensional space of systematization parameters detected hidden patterns, which pose a threat of deterioration of safety and occurrence of emergency. We interpreted this as a bottleneck, which requires increased attention and development of measures to prevent escalation into an emergency. We defined a risk as the most significant prerequisite for traffic accidents. Prerequisites are in the plane of ensuring of a transportation process, and they are systemic in nature.The developed algorithm for operative management of technological safety and a procedure for support of making operative management decisions reduce the impact of risks. The algorithm is formalized and ready for automation. Automation involves application of 4.0 digital technologies. Application of the proposed approach will help to reduce an impact of the human factor, to increase efficiency and objectivity of management decisions for ensuring of safety, and to make safety financing targeted and effective. It is possible to apply the proposed approach to other modes of transportation
- Festag, A. (2014). Cooperative intelligent transport systems standards in europe. IEEE Communications Magazine, 52 (12), 166–172. doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/mcom.2014.6979970
- Sjoberg, K., Andres, P., Buburuzan, T., Brakemeier, A. (2017). Cooperative Intelligent Transport Systems in Europe: Current Deployment Status and Outlook. IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, 12 (2), 89–97. doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/mvt.2017.2670018
- Li, Z., Dao, H., Patel, H., Liu, Y., Zhou, B. (2017). Incorporating Traffic Control and Safety Hardware Performance Functions into Risk-based Highway Safety Analysis. PROMET - Traffic&Transportation, 29 (2), 143–153. doi: https://doi.org/10.7307/ptt.v29i2.2041
- Young, W., Sobhani, A., Lenné, M. G., Sarvi, M. (2014). Simulation of safety: A review of the state of the art in road safety simulation modelling. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 66, 89–103. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2014.01.008
- Astarita, V., Giofré, V. P. (2019). From traffic conflict simulation to traffic crash simulation: Introducing traffic safety indicators based on the explicit simulation of potential driver errors. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 94, 215–236. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.simpat.2019.03.003
- Pešić, D., Vujanić, M., Lipovac, K., Antić, B. (2013). New method for benchmarking traffic safety level for the territory. Transport, 28 (1), 69–80. doi: https://doi.org/10.3846/16484142.2013.781539
- Johnsson, C., Laureshyn, A., De Ceunynck, T. (2018). In search of surrogate safety indicators for vulnerable road users: a review of surrogate safety indicators. Transport Reviews, 38 (6), 765–785. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/01441647.2018.1442888
- Kamaluddin, N. A., Andersen, C. S., Larsen, M. K., Meltofte, K. R., Várhelyi, A. (2018). Self-reporting traffic crashes – a systematic literature review. European Transport Research Review, 10 (2). doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12544-018-0301-0
- Sokolovskij, E., Prentkovskis, O. (2013). Investigating traffic accidents: the interaction between a motor vehicle and a pedestrian. Transport, 28 (3), 302–312. doi: https://doi.org/10.3846/16484142.2013.831771
- Clitan, A.-F. (2014). Sustainable Transport in Romania vs. European Union. Analysis of Road Transport System from the Sustainable Transport Perspective. Romanian Journal of Transport Infrastructure, 3 (2), 37–45. doi: https://doi.org/10.1515/rjti-2015-0026
- Bureika, G., Gaidamauskas, E., Kupinas, J., Bogdevičius, M., Steišūnas, S. (2016). Modelling the assessment of traffic risk at level crossings of lithuanian railways. Transport, 32 (3), 282–290. doi: https://doi.org/10.3846/16484142.2016.1244114
- Dezhkam, B., Mehrdad Eslami, S. (2017). A review of methods for highway-railway crossings safety management process. International electronic journal of mathematics education, 12 (3), 561–568.
- Sever, D. (1970). New Approach to Determining Visibility Length on Passive Protected Level Railroad Crossings. PROMET - Traffic&Transportation, 24 (6), 479–486. doi: https://doi.org/10.7307/ptt.v24i6.1203
- Matsiuk, V. (2017). A study of the technological reliability of railway stations by an example of transit trains processing. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 1 (3 (85)), 18–24. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.91074
- Santarremigia, F. E., Molero, G. D., Poveda-Reyes, S., Aguilar-Herrando, J. (2018). Railway safety by designing the layout of inland terminals with dangerous goods connected with the rail transport system. Safety Science, 110, 206–216. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2018.03.001
- Mironenko, V. K., Kacman, M. D., Macyuk, V. I. (2016). Creation pre-conditions of decision support system on of consequences liquidation of railway emergency on the basis of network-centric control methods. Systemy obrobky informatsiyi: zbirnyk naukovykh prats, 5 (142), 182–188.
- Katsman, M. D., Myronenko, V. K., Matsiuk, V. I. (2015). Mathematical models of ecologically hazardous rail traffic accidents. Reliability: theory & applications, 10 (1), 28–39.
- Chruzik, K., Wiśniewska, K., Fellner, R. (2017). Analysis of internal sources of hazards in civil air operations. Scientific Journal of Silesian University of Technology. Series Transport, 94, 27–35. doi: https://doi.org/10.20858/sjsutst.2017.94.3
- Di Gravio, G., Patriarca, R., Costantino, F., Sikora, I. (2017). Safety Assessment for an ATM System Change: A Methodology for the ANSPs. PROMET - Traffic&Transportation, 29 (1), 99–107. doi: https://doi.org/10.7307/ptt.v29i1.2121
- Skorupski, J. (2011). Dynamic methods of air traffic flow management. Transport Problems, 6 (1), 21–28.
- Rios Insua, D., Alfaro, C., Gomez, J., Hernandez-Coronado, P., Bernal, F. (2019). Forecasting and assessing consequences of aviation safety occurrences. Safety Science, 111, 243–252. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2018.07.018
- Corrigan, S., Kay, A., Ryan, M., Ward, M. E., Brazil, B. (2019). Human factors and safety culture: Challenges and opportunities for the port environment. Safety Science, 119, 252–265. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2018.03.008
- Velychko, O., Gordiyenko, T. (2018). A comparative analysis of the assessment results of the competence of technical experts by methods of analytic hierarchy process and with using the Rasch model. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3 (3 (93)), 14–21. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.131459
- Bochkovskii, А., Gogunskii, V. (2018). Development of the method for the optimal management of occupational risks. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3 (3 (93)), 6–13. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.132596
- The European Parliament. Directive 2004/49/EU (Railway Safety Directive) (2004). European Union: Official Journal of the European Union, 24.
- Polozhennia pro Systemu upravlinnia bezpekoiu rukhu poizdiv u Derzhavniy administratsiyi zaliznychnoho transportu (2011). Zbirnyk normatyvnykh aktiv z bezpeky rukhu ha zaliznychnomu transporti. Kyiv: DAZTU, 32–130.
- International Electrotechnical Commission. IEC 61508-1:2010. Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems – Part 1: General requirements (2010). International Electrotechnical Commission, 132.
- Zoeteman, A., van Zelm, R. (2001). Developing a Cost-Effective Renewal Strategy for Railway Track on Conventional Networks. A practical example of a policy revision at Netherlands Railways. Proceedings of the 5-th World conference on Railway Research. Cologne.
- Butko, T. V., Prokhorov, V. M., Chekhunov, D. M. (2018). Intelligent control of marshalling yards at transportation of dangerous goods based on multiobjective optimization. Science and Transport Progress. Bulletin of Dnipropetrovsk National University of Railway Transport, 5, 41–52. doi: https://doi.org/10.15802/stp2018/145470
- Butko, T., Prokhorov, V., Chekhunov, D. (2017). Devising a method for the automated calculation of train formation plan by employing genetic algorithms. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 1 (3 (85)), 55–61. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.93276
- Analiz stanu bezpeky rukhu, polotiv, sudnoplavstva v Ukraini za 2012 rik (2013). Ministerstvo infrastruktury Ukrainy. Kyiv: Ministerstvo infrastruktury Ukrainy, 52. Available at: https://mtu.gov.ua/files/Avar_analiz_2012.Pdf
- Analiz stanu bezpeky rukhu, polotiv, sudnoplavstva v Ukraini za 2013 rik (2014). Ministerstvo infrastruktury Ukrainy. Kyiv: Ministerstvo infrastruktury Ukrainy, 117. Available at: https://mtu.gov.ua/files/Avar_analiz_2013.Pdf
- Analiz stanu bezpeky rukhu, polotiv, sudnoplavstva ta avariynosti na transporti v Ukraini za 2014 rik (2015). Departament bezpeky na transporti Ministerstva infrastruktury Ukrainy. Kyiv: Ministerstvo infrastruktury Ukrainy, 124. Available at: https://mtu.gov.ua/files/АНАЛІЗ%20за%202014%20рік.pdf
- Analiz stanu bezpeky rukhu, polotiv, sudnoplavstva ta avariynosti na transporti v Ukraini za 2015 rik (2015). Kyiv: Ministerstvo infrastruktury Ukrainy, 150. Available at: https://mtu.gov.ua/files/АНАЛІЗ%20-%202015.pdf
- Analiz stanu bezpeky rukhu, sudnoplavstva ta avariinosti na transporti v Ukraini za 2016 rik. Available at: http://dsbt.gov.ua/sites/default/files/imce/Bezpeka_DTP/analiz_2017/analiz_avariynosti_2016.pdf
- Analiz stanu bezpeky rukhu, sudnoplavstva ta avariinosti na transporti v Ukraini za 2017 rik. Available at: http://dsbt.gov.ua/sites/default/files/imce/Bezpeka_DTP/2018/analiz_avariynosti_2017.compressed.pdf
- Dovidnyk osnovnykh pokaznykiv roboty Rehionalnykh filiy PAT «Ukrainska zaliznytsia» (2005–2015 roky) (2016). Ukrainska zaliznytsia, Upravlinnia statystyky. Kyiv: VTs «Prydniprovia», 60.
- Samsonkin, V. M., Martyshko, A. M. (2015). Praktychne zastosuvannia vyznachennia «vuzkykh mists» v ubezpechenni rukhu na pidpryiemstvakh zaliznychnoho transportu dlia profilaktyky transportnykh podii. Zaliznychnyi transport Ukrainy, 1, 3–10.
- Samsonkin, V., Druz’, V., Feldman, A. (2018). Applying of activities management based on self-learning. EUREKA: Physics and Engineering, 1, 29–38. doi: https://doi.org/10.21303/2461-4262.2018.00530
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 Valerii Samsonkin, Oleksii Goretskyi, Viacheslav Matsiuk, Viktor Myronenko, Anatoliy Boynik, Viktor Merkulov
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.