Influence of sesame flour on physicochemical properties of sour milk drinks
Keywords:drinks, defatted sesame flour, rheological properties, food additives, waste products, dietary fiber
This study aimed to investigate the technological properties of kefir fortified with defatted sesame flour (DSF). We have developed a recipe for producing kefir with the addition of 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 % DSF. The physicochemical parameters (pH, titratable acidity) and rheological properties (water-holding capacity, viscosity) of the samples within 28 days of storage were studied. All the samples were stored at a temperature of 4 °C. Nuclear magnetic resonance and chromatographic analysis were performed to determine the optimal shelf life of the product. It was found that fermentation ends on the seventh day of storage, while a low content of free water is observed. The recommended optimal storage time for kefir enriched with DSF is within 14 days. The introduction of 2 % DSF in kefir increases the content of vitamin E by three times (from 0.32 to 0.93 mg/100 g) and the content of proteins – by 1 % (from 3.36 to 4.3 %). The result showed that the pH value decreases with the introduction of DSF and is within the normal range during the entire storage period of the product (from 4.38 to 4.07). In this case, the total titratable acidity increases from 112.07 to 163.52 °T. An increase in viscosity (by 3 Pa∙s) and water-holding capacity (by almost 6 %) is observed with the addition of 2 % additive. Due to the high water-holding capacity and viscosity, dietary fiber content (up to 0.68 %), kefir supplemented with DSF showed high storage stability. The addition of 2 % DSF to kefir can increase the nutritional value and improve the structural stability of the product. DSF is a waste product with a bright prospect for use in the manufacture of fermented milk drinks
- Rimada, P. S., Abraham, A. G. (2006). Kefiran improves rheological properties of glucono-δ-lactone induced skim milk gels. International Dairy Journal, 16 (1), 33–39. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2005.02.002
- Guzel-Seydim, Z., Wyffels, J. T., Seydim, A. C., Greene, A. K. (2005). Turkish kefir and kefir grains: microbial enumeration and electron microscobic observation+. International Journal of Dairy Technology, 58 (1), 25–29. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0307.2005.00177.x
- Ertekin, B., Guzel‐Seydim, Z. B. (2010). Effect of fat replacers on kefir quality. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 90 (4), 543–548. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.3855
- Hertzler, S. R., Clancy, S. M. (2003). Kefir improves lactose digestion and tolerance in adults with lactose maldigestion. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 103 (5), 582–587. doi: https://doi.org/10.1053/jada.2003.50111
- Ahmed, Z., Wang, Y., Ahmad, A., Khan, S. T., Nisa, M., Ahmad, H., Afreen, A. (2013). Kefir and Health: A Contemporary Perspective. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 53 (5), 422–434. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2010.540360
- De Moreno de LeBlanc, A., Matar, C., Farnworth, E., Perdigon, G. (2006). Study of cytokines involved in the prevention of a murine experimental breast cancer by kefir. Cytokine, 34 (1-2), 1–8. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cyto.2006.03.008
- Wu, W. P. (2012). The Research on Stability of Active Lactobacteria by Different Stabilizer. Food research and Development, 33 (06), 105–108. doi: https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1005-6521.2012.06.029
- Liu, S. J., Hou, L. Y., Peng, Z. Y. (2018). Effects of Food Additives on the Activity of Lactic in Probiotic Drink. Journal of Hebei Normal University of Science & Technology, 32 (03), 35-39. doi: https://doi.org/10.3969/J.ISSN.1672-7983.2018.03.007
- Huang, Y. Y., She, Z. Y., Shu, M. Y. (2015). Antibacterial activity of foods additives against two strains of lactic acid bacteria. China Dairy Industry, 43 (08), 16-18,47. doi: https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1001-2230.2015.08.004
- Shleykin, A. G., Barakova, N. V., Petrova, M. N., Danilov, N. P., Argymbaeva, A. E. (2015). The influence of sugar syrup, honey and cereals on the rheological properties of yogurt. Scientific Journal NRU ITMO. Processes and Food Production Equipment, 2, 24–34. Available at: http://processes.ihbt.ifmo.ru/en/article/13413/The_influence_of_sugar_syrup,_honey_and_cereals_on_the_rheological_properties_of_yogurt.htm
- Samilyk, M., Helikh, A., Ryzhkova, T., Bolgova, N., Nazarenko, Y. (2020). Influence of the structure of some types of fillers introduced to the yogurt recipe on changes in its rheological indicators. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (11 (104)), 46–51. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2020.199527
- Mohdaly, A. A. A., Hassanien, M. F. R., Mahmoud, A., Sarhan, M. A., Smetanska, I. (2013). Phenolics Extracted from Potato, Sugar Beet, and Sesame Processing By-Products. International Journal of Food Properties, 16 (5), 1148–1168. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/10942912.2011.578318
- Yashaswini, P. S., Rao, A. G. A., Singh, S. A. (2017). Inhibition of lipoxygenase by sesamol corroborates its potential anti-inflammatory activity. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 94, 781–787. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2016.06.048
- Alyemeni, M. N., Basahy, A. Y., Sher, H. (2011). Physico-chemical analysis and mineral composition of some sesame seeds (Sesamum indicum L.) grown in the Gizan area of Saudi Arabia. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 5 (2), 270–274. Available at: https://academicjournals.org/journal/JMPR/article-full-text-pdf/BDC1CCC18667
- Zouari, R., Besbes, S., Ellouze-Chaabouni, S., Ghribi-Aydi, D. (2016). Cookies from composite wheat–sesame peels flours: Dough quality and effect of Bacillus subtilis SPB1 biosurfactant addition. Food Chemistry, 194, 758–769. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.08.064
- Mudgil, D., Barak, S., Khatkar, B. S. (2016). Development of functional yoghurt via soluble fiber fortification utilizing enzymatically hydrolyzed guar gum. Food Bioscience, 14, 28–33. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbio.2016.02.003
- Zaharova, L. (2014). Development and Introduction of New Dairy Technologies. Foods and Raw Materials, 2 (2), 68–74. doi: https://doi.org/10.12737/5462
- Özcan, T., Yıldız, E. (2016). Sebze Püresi ile Üretilen Yoğurtların Tekstürel ve Duyusal Özelliklerinin Belirlenmesi. Turkish Journal of Agriculture - Food Science and Technology, 4 (7), 579. doi: https://doi.org/10.24925/turjaf.v4i7.579-587.719
- Kabakcı, S. A., Türkyılmaz, M., Özkan, M. (2020). Changes in the quality of kefir fortified with anthocyanin-rich juices during storage. Food Chemistry, 326, 126977. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.126977
- Codex standard for fermented milks (2003). Codex Stan 243-2003. Available at: https://www.fao.org/input/download/standards/400/CXS_243e.pdf
- Demirci, T., Aktaş, K., Sözeri, D., Öztürk, H. İ., Akın, N. (2017). Rice bran improve probiotic viability in yoghurt and provide added antioxidative benefits. Journal of Functional Foods, 36, 396–403. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2017.07.019
- Dinkçi, N. D. (2015). An innovative approach: cow/oat milk based kefir. Mljekarstvo, 65 (3), 177–186. doi: https://doi.org/10.15567/mljekarstvo.2015.0304
- Zare, F., Boye, J. I., Orsat, V., Champagne, C., Simpson, B. K. (2011). Microbial, physical and sensory properties of yogurt supplemented with lentil flour. Food Research International, 44 (8), 2482–2488. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2011.01.002
- Samilyk, M., Lukash, S., Bolgova, N., Helikh, A., Maslak, N., Maslak, O. (2020). Advances in Food Processing based on Sustainable Bioeconomy. Journal of Environmental Management and Tourism, 11 (5), 1105. doi: https://doi.org/10.14505//jemt.v11.5(45).08
- Nascimento, E. M. da G. C. do, Carvalho, C. W. P., Takeiti, C. Y., Freitas, D. D. G. C., Ascheri, J. L. R. (2012). Use of sesame oil cake (Sesamum indicum L.) on corn expanded extrudates. Food Research International, 45 (1), 434–443. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2011.11.009
- Prakash, K., Naik, S. N., Vadivel, D., Hariprasad, P., Gandhi, D., Saravanadevi, S. (2018). Utilization of defatted sesame cake in enhancing the nutritional and functional characteristics of biscuits. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, 42 (9), e13751. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.13751
- Inyang, U., Wayo, A. (2005). Fortification of cookies with dehulled sesame seed meal. Tropical Science, 45 (3), 103–105. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/ts.2
- Akhtar, M. N., Afzaal, M., Shahid, M. Z., Nadeem, M. T., Yasmeen, A., Khan, M. R. et. al. (2016). Effect of Partially Defatted Sesame Meal Supplementation on Chemical, Rheological and Sensory Attributes of Bread. Asian Journal of Chemistry, 28 (7), 1545–1550. doi: https://doi.org/10.14233/ajchem.2016.19748
- Vicenssuto, G. M., de Castro, R. J. S. (2020). Development of a novel probiotic milk product with enhanced antioxidant properties using mango peel as a fermentation substrate. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, 24, 101564. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcab.2020.101564
- Goncu, B. (2017). Some properties of kefir enriched with apple and lemon fiber. Mljekarstvo, 208–216. doi: https://doi.org/10.15567/mljekarstvo.2017.0305
- Soukoulis, C., Lebesi, D., Tzia, C. (2009). Enrichment of ice cream with dietary fibre: Effects on rheological properties, ice crystallisation and glass transition phenomena. Food Chemistry, 115 (2), 665–671. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.12.070
- Wu, W., Hu, J., Gao, H., Chen, H., Fang, X., Mu, H. et. al. (2020). The potential cholesterol-lowering and prebiotic effects of bamboo shoot dietary fibers and their structural characteristics. Food Chemistry, 332, 127372. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.127372
- Chen, W. J., Lin, X. Y., Ruan, R. S., He, C. Y., Zhu, B. H., Liu, Y. H. (2006). Study on quickly and non-destructive estimate the moisture content of food using NMR. Food Research and Development, 27 (4), 125–127. doi: https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1005-6521.2006.04.045
- Cheng, Y. X., Zhang, J. S., Wang, Z. L., Liu, Y. H., Ruan, R. S. (2013). Study on the effect of resistant starch on water holding capacity of yoghourt by NMR. Science and Technology of Food Industry, 10, 93–96. Available at: http://caod.oriprobe.com/articles/34255642/di_chang_nmr_yan_jiu_kang_xing_dian_fen_dui_suan_niu_nai_zai_zhu_cang_.htm
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Xuanxuan Qin, Марина Михайловна Самилык, Yanghe Luo, Виктория Викторовна Соколенко
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.