Determining optimal process parameters for sprouting buckwheat as a base for a food seasoning of improved quality
Keywords:quality assessment, optimization, germination, buckwheat grain, seasoning of improved quality, antioxidant activity
In order to determine the influence of temperature and time of germination of the Bogatyr variety buckwheat on a change in the content of vitamins E, C, and B group, the germination parameters were optimized when developing a new type of seasoning. To optimize the germination parameters, the response surface methodology was used. The maximum total content of B, E, and C group vitamins in the sprouted buckwheat (4.591 mg/100 g) was observed at a temperature of 21.5 °C and the duration of germination of 3 days.
The Bogatyr variety buckwheat was sprouted for 4 days. Changes in the nutritional and biological value of the sprouted grains were registered after 24 hours. Based on the comparative chemical analysis, it was established that the content of protein, fiber, vitamins, amino acids increases during the germination of buckwheat in comparison with the control sample. The protein content on day 4 increases by 1.38 times compared to control. At the same time, the mass fraction of carbohydrates on day 4 is reduced by 1.57 times; the mass fraction of fat ‒ by 2 times.
It was established that the prototype seasoning that contains 30 % of sprouted buckwheat is characterized by a higher content of protein, vitamins, micro-and macronutrients compared to the control sample (without the addition of sprouted buckwheat). Adding the sprouted buckwheat grain to the seasoning has made it possible to increase by 25 % the antioxidant activity of the finished product compared to the control sample, which is 259.09 and 383.72 mg/100 g, respectively. In terms of safety indicators, the new product fully complies with the requirements for sanitary and hygienic safety.
The results reported here give reasons to recommend the production of a new type of seasonings of enhanced nutritional value based on the sprouted Bogatyr variety buckwheat, which could expand and improve the quality of nutrition
- Gerasimenko, N. F., Poznyakovskiy, V. M., Chelnokova, N. G. (2016). Healthy eating and its role in ensuring the quality of life. Tekhnologii pishchevoy i pererabatyvayushchey promyshlennosti APK-produkty zdorovogo pitaniya, 4, 53–57. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/zdorovoe-pitanie-i-ego-rol-v-obespechenii-kachestva-zhizni/pdf
- Ibraimova, S., Uazhanova, R., Mardar, M., Serikbaeva, A., Tkachenko, N., Zhygunov, D. (2020). Development of recipe composition of bread with the inclusion of juniper using mathematical modeling and assessment of its quality. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 6 (11 (108)), 6–16. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2020.219020
- Benincasa, P., Falcinelli, B., Lutts, S., Stagnari, F., Galieni, A. (2019). Sprouted Grains: A Comprehensive Review. Nutrients, 11 (2), 421. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/nu11020421
- Ogbunugafor, H. A., Ugochukwu, C. G., Kyrian-Ogbonna, A. E. (2017). The role of spices in nutrition and health: a review of three popular spices used in Southern Nigeria. Food Quality and Safety, 1 (3), 171–185. doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/fqsafe/fyx020
- Fasoyiro, S. (2015). The Value of Spices; Uses, Nutritional and Health Benefits. Lambert Academic Publishing. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282353976_The_Value_of_Spices_Uses_Nutritional_and_Health_Benefits
- Rico, D., Peñas, E., García, M. del C., Martínez-Villaluenga, C., Rai, D. K., Birsan, R. I. et. al. (2020). Sprouted Barley Flour as a Nutritious and Functional Ingredient. Foods, 9 (3), 296. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/foods9030296
- Badejo, A. A. (2016). Nutrient Composition and Antioxidative Potential of Seasonings Formulated from Herbs, Spices, and Seafood. Journal of Culinary Science & Technology, 14 (3), 222–233. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/15428052.2015.1103675
- Oo, K. S., Than, S. S., Oo, T. H. (2019). A Model HACCP Plan for Fish Seasoning Powder Production. American Journal of Food Science and Technology, 7 (6), 200–204. Available at: http://www.sciepub.com/ajfst/abstract/10849
- Kulazhanov, T. K., Vitavskaya, A. V., Kizatova, M. Zh., Nurmat, M. N., Nabieva, Zh. S. et. al. (2012). Pat. No. 26842 KZ. Vkusovaya priprava “Densaulyқ” k pishche. No. 2012/1154.1; declareted: 02.11.2012; published: 15.05.2013, Bul. No. 5. Available at: https://kzpatents.com/5-ip26842-vkusovaya-priprava-densauly-k-pishhe.html
- Serikbayeva, A. N., Tiymbayeva, B. T., Bugubayeva, G. O., Zhaksylykova, G. N. (2019). Flavoring based on germinated cereals and legumes cultures. VESTNIK KazNRTU, 5 (135), 379–383. Available at: https://official.satbayev.university/download/document/12327/%D0%92%D0%95%D0%A1%D0%A2%D0%9D%D0%98%D0%9A-2019%20%E2%84%965.pdf
- Bobkov, S. (2016). Biochemical and Technological Properties of Buckwheat Grains. Molecular Breeding and Nutritional Aspects of Buckwheat, 423–440. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-803692-1.00034-1
- Peñas, E., Martínez-Villaluenga, C. (2020). Advances in Production, Properties and Applications of Sprouted Seeds. Foods, 9 (6), 790. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/foods9060790
- Naumenko, N. V., Potoroko, I. Y., Velyamov, M. T. (2019). Sprouted whole wheat grain as a food constituent in food technology. Bulletin of the South Ural State University Series Food and Biotechnology, 7 (3), 23–30. doi: https://doi.org/10.14529/food190303
- Žilić, S., Basić, Z., Hadži-Tašković Šukalović, V., Maksimović, V., Janković, M., Filipović, M. (2013). Can the sprouting process applied to wheat improve the contents of vitamins and phenolic compounds and antioxidant capacity of the flour? International Journal of Food Science & Technology, 49 (4), 1040–1047. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.12397
- Lemmens, E., Moroni, A. V., Pagand, J., Heirbaut, P., Ritala, A., Karlen, Y. et. al. (2018). Impact of Cereal Seed Sprouting on Its Nutritional and Technological Properties: A Critical Review. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12414
- Brajdes, C., Vizireanu, C. (2012). Sprouted buckwheat an important vegetable source of antioxidants. AUDJG – Food Technology, 36 (1), 53–60. Available at: http://www.gup.ugal.ro/ugaljournals/index.php/food/article/download/2266/1930
- Zhang, Z.-L., Zhou, M.-L., Tang, Y., Li, F.-L., Tang, Y.-X., Shao, J.-R. et. al. (2012). Bioactive compounds in functional buckwheat food. Food Research International, 49 (1), 389–395. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2012.07.035
- Gan, R.-Y., Lui, W.-Y., Wu, K., Chan, C.-L., Dai, S.-H., Sui, Z.-Q., Corke, H. (2017). Bioactive compounds and bioactivities of germinated edible seeds and sprouts: An updated review. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 59, 1–14. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2016.11.010
- Ospanov, A., Muslimov, N., Timurbekova, A., Jumabekova, G., Turganzhan, G. (2018). Research of food safety and biological value of the Kazakhstan buckwheat of the grade «Bogatyr». Issledovaniya, rezul'taty. 2 (78), 109–116. Available at: http://izdenister.kaznau.kz/files/parts/2018_2/2018_2-109-116.pdf
- GOST ISO 24333-2017. Cereals and cereal products. Sampling. Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200146922
- Vigmor, E. (2000). Prorostki - pishcha zhizni. Sankt-Peterburg: ID «VES'», 206. Available at: https://search.rsl.ru/ru/record/01000666316
- Standart organizatsii AO «Almatinskiy tekhnologicheskiy universitet» ST AO 990840000359-02-2020 Vkusovaya priprava «Bogatyr'».
- Gunst, R. F., Myers, R. H., Montgomery, D. C. (1996). Response Surface Methodology: Process and Product Optimization Using Designed Experiments. Technometrics, 38 (3), 285. doi: https://doi.org/10.2307/1270613
- Komarova, N. V., Kamentsev, Ya. S. (2006). Prakticheskoe rukovodstvo po primeneniyu sistemy kapillyarnogo elektroforeza “Kapel'”. Sankt-Peterburg: Veda, 212. Available at: http://www.anchem.ru/literature/books/kniga_kap_forez.pdf
- GOST EN 12822-2014. Produkty pishchevye. Opredelenie soderzhaniya vitamina E (α -, β -, γ - i δ -tokoferolov) metodom vysokoeffektivnoy zhidkostnoy hromatografii. Available at: https://mooml.com/d/gosty/33201/
- GOST R 55569-2013. Feedstuffs, compound feeds, feed raw materials. Determination of proteinogenic amino acids using capillary electrophoresis. Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200105562
- GOST R 54037-2010. Foodstuffs. Determination of water-soluble antioxidants content by amperometric method in vegetables, fruits, products of their processing, alcoholic and soft drinks. Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200084226
- Delgado-Andrade, C., Navarro, M., López, H., López, M. C. (2003). Determination of total arsenic levels by hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometry in foods from south-east Spain: estimation of daily dietary intake. Food Additives and Contaminants, 20 (10), 923–932. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/02652030310001594450
- Fodor-Csorba, K. (1992). Chromatographic methods for the determination of pesticides in foods. Journal of Chromatography A, 624 (1-2), 353–367. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9673(92)85688-p
- Wagner, A. O., Markt, R., Mutschlechner, M., Lackner, N., Prem, E. M., Praeg, N., Illmer, P. (2019). Medium Preparation for the Cultivation of Microorganisms under Strictly Anaerobic/Anoxic Conditions. Journal of Visualized Experiments, 150. doi: https://doi.org/10.3791/60155
- ISO 6579-1:2017/AMD 1:2020. Microbiology of the food chain – Horizontal method for the detection, enumeration and serotyping of Salmonella – Part 1: Detection of Salmonella spp. – Amendment 1: Broader range of incubation temperatures, amendment to the status of Annex D, and correction of the composition of MSRV and SC. Available at: https://www.iso.org/standard/76671.html
- ISO 21527-1:2008. Microbiology of food and animal feeding stuffs – Horizontal method for the enumeration of yeasts and moulds – Part 1: Colony count technique in products with water activity greater than 0,95. Available at: https://www.iso.org/standard/38275.html
- Ivanova, S. S., Petrova, S. N. (2015). Biohimiya rastitel'nogo syr'ya. Ivanovskiy gosudarstvennyy himiko-tekhnologicheskiy universitet, 72. Available at: https://b-ok.asia/book/2909011/aceef3
- Idowu, A. T., Olatunde, O. O., Adekoya, A. E., Idowu, S. (2019). Germination: an alternative source to promote phytonutrients in edible seeds. Food Quality and Safety, 4 (3), 129–133. doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/fqsafe/fyz043
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Ayana Serikbaeva, Bagimkul Tnymbaeva, Maryna Mardar, Nataliіa Tkachenko, Saniya Ibraimova, Raushangul Uazhanova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.