A study of the possibilities of using linseed flour and rice husk fiber as an additional source of raw materials in the bakery industry
Keywords:rye-wheat bread, linseed flour, rice husk fiber, rheology, recipe optimization
The paper is devoted to solving the problem of the nutritional and biological value of rye-wheat bread by enriching it with non-traditional local plants raw materials – linseed flour and rice husk fiber. Rice husks are rarely used in bakery production, and in most cases remain unprocessed. However, this research defined the right ways for using them and set as a preliminary work in this field. The study has been carried out in two stages: firstly, linseed flour was added to the rye-wheat bread recipe in an amount of 5; 10; 15; 20 % to the weight of wheat flour. Secondly, dietary fiber was added to these experimental samples, prepared from rice husks without removing amorphous silicon dioxide in an amount of 0.3; 0.5; 0.7 % to the total mass of rye-wheat flour. The optimization of the ratios of the flour components with a simplex-lattice design was carried out and the rheological measurements of dough and bread were conducted on the farinograph and Chopin alveograph.
The study results experimentally found that mixtures of rye-wheat flour and linseed flour with the addition of fiber as “medium in strength” give bread with sufficient volume. The recipe optimization parameters indicated that rational percentage of fiber and linseed flour up to 0.5 % and 15 %, respectively allows increasing the nutritional and biological value of finished products, improves the crumb structure, gas-holding and water-holding capacity of bread, which in turn prevents the stale process and thereby increases the shelf life of finished products.
The obtained results allow us to suggest that, this recipe optimization model could be used in further research, as studies in this direction are limited
- Baiysbayeva, M., Iskakova, G., Izembayeva, A., Batyrbayeva, N., Dikhanbayeva, F., Daribayeva, G. (2021). Development of technology for macaroni products based on flour of grain crops and ion-zoned water. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 1 (11 (109)), 51–60. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2021.225001
- Bayisbayeva, M. P., Izembayeva, A. K., Dautkanova, D. R., Baibatyrov, T. A. (2014). Ways and processing method of baking the Kazakh national flaky flatbread. Advances in Environmental Biology, 8 (16), 248–251.
- Baiysbayeva, M. P., Zhiyenbayeva, S. T., Rustemova, A. Zh., Batyrbayeva, N. B., Izembayeva, A. K., Irmatova, Z. K. (2019). The effect of formulating supplements on the quality, nutritional value, safety and microbiological parameters of butter cookies. Eurasian Journal of Biosciences, 13 (2), 2015–2021. Available at: http://www.ejobios.org/download/the-effect-of-formulating-supplements-on-the-quality-nutritional-value-safety-and-microbiological-7368.pdf
- Karavay, L. V., Levochkina, L. V. (2008). Gidrolizovannaya risovaya sheluha dlya proizvodstva muchnyh izdeliy. Pischevaya promyshlennost', 11, 53. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/gidrolizovannaya-risovaya-sheluha-dlya-proizvodstva-muchnyh-izdeliy
- Vurasko, A. V., Driker, B. N., Zemnuhova, L. A., Galimova, A. R. (2007). Resursosberegayuschaya tehnologiya polucheniya cellyulozy pri kompleksnoy pererabotke solomy risa. Himiya rastitel'nogo syr'ya, 2, 21–25. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/resursosberegayuschaya-tehnologiya-polucheniya-tsellyulozy-pri-kompleksnoy-pererabotke-solomy-risa
- Kalinina, I. V., Fatkullin, R. I., Naumenko, N. V. (2014). On the use of flax meal in bread and pastry production. Bulletin of the South Ural State University. Series “Food and Biotechnology”, 2 (4), 50–56. Available at: https://vestnik.susu.ru/food/article/view/3038/2850
- Arjmandi, R., Hassan, A., Majeed, K., Zakaria, Z. (2015). Rice Husk Filled Polymer Composites. International Journal of Polymer Science, 2015, 1–32. doi: https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/501471
- Lim, S. L., Wu, T. Y., Sim, E. Y. S., Lim, P. N., Clarke, C. (2012). Biotransformation of rice husk into organic fertilizer through vermicomposting. Ecological Engineering, 41, 60–64. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2012.01.011
- Bisht, N., Gope, P. C., Rani, N. (2020). Rice husk as a fibre in composites: A review. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Materials, 29 (1), 147–162. doi: https://doi.org/10.1515/jmbm-2020-0015
- Liu, T., Duan, H., Mao, X., Yu, X. (2020). Influence of flaxseed flour as a partial replacement for wheat flour on the characteristics of Chinese steamed bread. RSC Advances, 10 (47), 28114–28120. doi: https://doi.org/10.1039/d0ra05742h
- Koca, A. F., Anil, M. (2007). Effect of flaxseed and wheat flour blends on dough rheology and bread quality. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 87 (6), 1172–1175. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2739
- Martin, K. R. (2007). The chemistry of silica and its potential health benefits. The journal of nutrition, health & aging, 11 (2), 94–97.
- Silicon dioxide. National Center for Biotechnology Information. Available at: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Silicon-dioxide#section=Information-Sources
- Glushankova, I., Ketov, A., Krasnovskikh, M., Rudakova, L., Vaisman, I. (2018). Rice Hulls as a Renewable Complex Material Resource. Resources, 7 (2), 31. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/resources7020031
- Podolske, J., Cho, S. S., Gonzalez, R., Lee, A. W., Peterson, C. (2013). Rice Hull Fiber: Food Applications, Physiological Benefits, and Safety. Cereal Foods World, 58 (3), 127–131. doi: https://doi.org/10.1094/cfw-58-3-0127
- Phonphuak, N., Chindaprasirt, P. (2015). Types of waste, properties, and durability of pore-forming waste-based fired masonry bricks. Eco-Efficient Masonry Bricks and Blocks, 103–127. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-1-78242-305-8.00006-1
- St RK 1466–2005. Wheat flour and rye flour. General guidance for the design of baking tests. Available at: https://online.zakon.kz/Document/?doc_id=30192078#pos=1;-16
- GOST 31807-2018. Bakery products from rye baking flour and rye-and-wheat baking flour. General specifications. Available at: https://allgosts.ru/67/060/gost_31807-2018.pdf
- Pallarés, M. G., Léon, A. E., Rosell, C. M. (2007). Capítulo 1: Trigo. De tales harinas, tales panes. Granos, harinas y productos de panificación en Iberoamérica. Córdoba: Hugo Báez, 17–71. Available at: https://digital.csic.es/bitstream/10261/17118/1/libro%20panificacion-2007.pdf
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Zilikha Moldakulova, Meruyet Bayisbayeva, Galiya Iskakova, Fatima Dikhanbayeva, Assel Izembayeva, Viera Sottnikova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.