Defining quality indicators for sugar pasteswith demineralized whey during storage
Keywords:sugar paste, demineralized whey, glycerin, technological suitability, consistency, particle size
This paper considers the changes in quality indicators of sugar pastes with dry demineralized whey and glycerin during storage in order to establish their technological shelf life.
Based on the results of studying changes in the mass fraction of moisture of sugar pastes over 30 days, a decrease in this indicator in the control sample was established, by 80 %, and in the experimental one – by 30 %.
Examining the sensory characteristics of consistency according to the devised descriptors has made it possible to establish that the control sample of sugar pastes onday 10 of storage is technologically unsuitable. Its consistency is characterized as too dense, hard, brittle, not uniform, with lumps. Accordingly, the molding ability, which received 3.45 points, decreases. The prototype, even on day 30 of storage, has acceptable consistency characteristics: moderately hard and dense, softish, homogeneous with the presence of barely perceptible small inclusions. A high molding ability is retained, which received 4.3 points.
Experimental studies of the fractional composition of the solid phase and the dispersion of sugar pastes are consistent with studies into the sensory characteristics of the consistency. It was established that on day 10 of storage, in the control sample the fractional composition of particles with a size of 21 to 30 µm prevails, the content of which is 62 %, which characterizes the structure as coarse crystalline. In the prototype on day 30 of storage, thecontent of particles the size of 11 to 20 µmwas 72 %, which preserves the quality of the paste and characterizes its structure as finely crystalline.
The results of the study made it possible to establish a tendency to slow down the build-up of solid particles of the developed sugar pastes, and their growth to a critical size of 22.6 µm.The data obtained have made it possible to establish the technological shelf life of the developed sugar pastes, which was 30 days, which is 3 times more than that of the control.
Consequently, the introduction into the formulation composition of sugar pastes of demineralized whey at a concentration of 50 % and glycerin at a concentration of 5 % makes it possible to extend their technological shelf life. This is important from a practical point of view and solves the problem set.
- Yuliati, K., Hamzah, R. S., Hamzah, B. (2022). Feasibility study on indigenous confectionery business - the case of gulo puan industries. Economia Agro-Alimentare, 1, 1–30. doi: https://doi.org/10.3280/ecag2022oa12375
- Mafra, R., José, S. A. (2015). Application of lean manufacturing concepts in the Bakery and Confectionery industry: Case small bakery company in Joinville, Brazil. Espacios, 36 (1). Available at: https://www.revistaespacios.com/a15v36n01/15360110.html
- Akesowan, A., Choonhahirun, A. (2013). Quality Assessment of Reduced-calorie Thai Mung Bean Marzipan Made with Erythritol-Sucralose Blend and Soy Milk. Life Science Journal, 10 (2), 2129–2134. Available at: http://www.lifesciencesite.com/lsj/life1002/299_18727life1002_2129_2134.pdf
- Akesowan, A., Choonhahirun, A. (2017). Quality characteristics and storage stability of reduced-calorie mung bean marzipan incorporated with konjac flour and pumpkin. International Food Research Journal, 24 (6), 2474–2481. Available at: http://www.ifrj.upm.edu.my/24%20(06)%202017/(28).pdf
- Brüning, P., Haase, I., Matissek, R., Fischer, M. (2011). Marzipan: Polymerase Chain Reaction-Driven Methods for Authenticity Control. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 59 (22), 11910–11917. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/jf202484a
- Sadohara, R. (2019). Quality characteristics of bean paste as a confectionery ingredient and recent breeding efforts of common beans in Japan. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 100 (1), 10–15. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.10013
- Inoue, Y., Kato, S., Saikusa, M., Suzuki, C., Otsubo, Y., Tanaka, Y. et. al. (2016). Analysis of the cooked aroma and odorants that contribute to umami aftertaste of soy miso (Japanese soybean paste). Food Chemistry, 213, 521–528. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.06.106
- Talebi, S., Chen, G. Q., Freeman, B., Suarez, F., Freckleton, A., Bathurst, K., Kentish, S. E. (2019). Fouling and in-situ cleaning of ion-exchange membranes during the electrodialysis of fresh acid and sweet whey. Journal of Food Engineering, 246, 192–199. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2018.11.010
- Chen, G. Q., Eschbach, F. I. I., Weeks, M., Gras, S. L., Kentish, S. E. (2016). Removal of lactic acid from acid whey using electrodialysis. Separation and Purification Technology, 158, 230–237. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2015.12.016
- Ortiz Quezada, A. G., Castilla Asaf, A., Sacks, G. L. (2021). Optimization of conditions for Greek style yogurt acid whey demineralization and its effects on filterability. International Dairy Journal, 123, 105163. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2021.105163
- Romanchuk, I., Minorova, A., Krushelnytska, N. (2018). Physical-chemical composition and technological properties of demineralized milk whey received by membrane methods. Agricultural Science and Practice, 5 (3), 33–39. doi: https://doi.org/10.15407/agrisp5.03.033
- Merkel, A., Voropaeva, D., Ondrušek, M. (2021). The impact of integrated nanofiltration and electrodialytic processes on the chemical composition of sweet and acid whey streams. Journal of Food Engineering, 298, 110500. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2021.110500
- Kravchenko, M., Rybchuk, L. (2019). New types of apparatus confectionery fragrances. Pratsi Tavriyskoho derzhavnoho ahrotekhnolohichnoho universytetu, 1 (19), 255–261. Available at: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Ptdau_2019_19_1_35
- Kravchenko, M., Rybchuk, L. (2018). Structural and mechanical properties of sugar paste. Commodities and markets, 3, 77–90. Available at: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/tovary_2018_3_10
- Kravchenko, M., Shapoval, S., Rybchuk, L. (2018). Properties of sugar paste surface. Commodities and markets, 4, 124–131. doi: https://doi.org/10.31617/tr.knute.2018(28)12
- Polievoda, Y. (2020). Research of glycerol-containing surfactants in food and processing industries. Vibrations in engineering and technology, 1 (96), 141–148. doi: https://doi.org/10.37128/2306-8744-2020-1-15
- Kravchenko, M., Rybchuk, L. (2019). Confectionery mastics with glycerin: rheological characteristics. Commodities and markets, 2, 87–97. Available at: http://tr.knute.edu.ua/files/2019/02(30)2019/10.pdf
- Tomchyk, O. M., Savin, S. M., Kochetov, V. P. (2015). Pat. No. 100447 UA. Sposib zberihannia silskohospodarskykh kharchovykh produktiv abo syrovyny. No. u201501050; declareted: 10.02.2015; published: 27.07.2015, Bul. No. 14. Available at: https://uapatents.com/5-100447-sposib-zberigannya-silskogospodarskikh-kharchovikh-produktiv-abo-sirovini.html
- Obolkina, V., Zalevskaya, N., Gureeva, V., Kishko, E. (2011). Izuchena effektivnost' smeseyemul'gatorov i stabilizatorov v konditerskikh izdeliyakh. Khlibopekarska i kondyterska promyslovist Ukrainy, 5 (78), 11–12.
- Horalchuk, A. B., Pyvovarov, P. P., Hrynchenko, O. O., Pohozhykh, M. I., Polevych, V. V., Hurskyi, P. V. (2006). Reolohichni metody doslidzhennia syrovyny i kharchovykh produktiv ta avtomatyzatsiya rozrakhunkiv reolohichnykh kharakterystyk. Kharkiv: KhDUKhT, 63.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Larysa Rybchuk, Anatolii Vdovichen, Olha Romanovska, Inna Danyliuk, Vladimir Piddubnyi, Iryna Losheniuk, Mihailo Kravchenko, Tatiana Yudina, Roman Romanenko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.