Influence of the pressing technique and parameters on the yield of oil from melon seeds
Keywords:cold pressing, oil from melon seeds, oil yield, physicochemical indicators
Melon is a seasonal fruit that is very useful for human health. Kazakhstan ranks 4th in the world production of melons; this indicates the volume of production. Melons are exported to the countries of the EEC (European Economic Union); coverage of the domestic market is provided. However, about 40 % of the crop remains in the fields (overripe ones are not transportable). These fruits are ground and seeds are isolated, some go to the next season as sowing, part is fed to livestock. When processing fruits, the seeds and peel go to waste. Melon seeds are rich in protein substances and oil. They also contain galactan, glucose, gummy, resins. Seed protein consists of glutelin and globulin. This study has considered the seeds of 10 varieties of melons growing in Central Asia. During the research, the characteristics of vegetable oil from melon seeds of different varieties were determined. A comparison of squeezed oil with crushed and not crushed seed kernels is given. Vegetable oil obtained by cold pressing has a good shelf life. Oil extraction technology has been developed, including IR treatment, and pressing of unshelled melon seeds. Based on the results of studies of 10 varieties of melon, the optimal mode of IR heat treatment of seeds at the SVS-200 W unit was determined: for 120 seconds at a distance of 90 mm from the seeds at a radiation flux density of 900 W/m2. As a result of solving the problem involving the vector optimization criterion, optimal intervals of input parameters were established: the initial humidity of the raw material is 9.15...10.27 %, the speed of rotation of the oil press screw is 0.843...0.895 s–1, the clearance for the yield of cake is 0.750...0.800, oil seed meal temperature at pressing is 87...89 °С, the huskness of the starting product is 7.13...7.23 %. The influence of bottling and storage conditions on the duration of preservation of the main quality indicators by non-refined oil was studied
- Yerenova, B. Ye., Vitavskaja, A. V., Pronina, Yu. G., Mitanova, A. A. (2015). The study of the chemical composition of melon late ripening varieties. Bulletin of Almaty Technological University, 1, 57–60.
- Liang, R., Su, Y., Qin, X., Gao, Z., Fu, Z., Qiu, H. et. al. (2022). Comparative transcriptomic analysis of two Cucumis melo var. saccharinus germplasms differing in fruit physical and chemical characteristics. BMC Plant Biology, 22 (1). doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12870-022-03550-8
- Yerenova, B. Ye., Pronina, Yu. G. (2019). Investigation of the influence of low-temperature storage on taste and flavor properties of melon-based sorbes. Scientific-and-technical journal «News of science in Kazakhstan», 1 (139), 162–172.
- Yerenova, B. Ye., Pronina, Yu. G. (2020). Progressive technology of functional melon-based products of long-term storage. Almaty: «V.T.O Creative & Marketing Laboratory» LLP, 278.
- Medvedkov, Ye., Yerenova, B., Pronina, Yu., Penov, N., Belozertseva, O., Kondratiuk, N. (2021). Extraction and characteristics of pectins from melon peel: experimental review. Journal of Chemistry and Technologies, 29 (4), 650–659. doi: https://doi.org/10.15421/jchemtech.v29i4.252250
- Yerenova, B. Ye., Pronina, Yu. G., Medvedkov, Ye. B. (2016). Production of melon-based juices with enriching herbal supplements. Bulgarian Journal of Agricultural Science, 22 (5), 840–848. Available at: https://www.agrojournal.org/22/05-22.pdf
- Martins, I. B. A., Barbosa, I. de C. C., Rosenthal, A., Ares, G., Deliza, R. (2021). Development of tropical mixed juice with low added-sugar content: Sensory and nutritional aspects. Food Science and Technology International, 28 (5), 440–450. doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/10820132211020844
- Yerenova, B. Ye., Pronina, Yu. G. (2016). Investigation of the rheological properties of melon juices. Bulletin of the National Engineering Academy of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 2 (60), 89–93.
- Yerenova, B., Pronina, Y., Penov, N., Mihalev, K., Kalcheva-Karadzhova, K., Dinkova, R., Shikov, V. (2019). Optimization of the Mixed Melon-berry Juice Composition, Using Simplex Centroid Experimental Design. Comptes rendus de l’Acade'mie bulgare des Sciences, 72 (12), 1713–1722. doi: https://doi.org/10.7546/crabs.2019.12.16
- Yerenova, B. Ye., Pronina, Yu. G., Medvedkov, Ye. B., Admaeva, A. M. (2016). Research on the effect of freezing on quality indicators late-ripening varieties of melons. Bulletin of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic Kazakhstan, 1, 90–97.
- Yerenova, B. Ye., Penov, N. D., Pronina, Yu. G. (2016). Sorbe production based on melon with enriching additives of plant origin. Bulletin of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 3, 48–55.
- Yerenova, B., Pronina, Yu. (2018). Influence of the low-temperature storage mode on qualitative indicators of melon sorbe. Scientific Works of University of Food Technologies, 65 (1), 18–23.
- Petrenko, Y., Tlevlessova, D., Syzdykova, L., Kuzembayeva, G., Abdiyeva, K. (2022). Development of technology for the production of Turkish delight from melon crops on a natural base. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3 (11 (117)), 6–18. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2022.258534
- Jorge, N., da Silva, A. C., Veronezi, C. M. (2022). Antioxidant and pharmacological activity of Cucumis melo var. cantaloupe. Multiple Biological Activities of Unconventional Seed Oils, 147–170. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-824135-6.00001-5
- Silva, M. A., Albuquerque, T. G., Alves, R. C., Oliveira, M. B. P. P., Costa, H. S. (2022). Cucumis melo L. seed oil components and biological activities. Multiple Biological Activities of Unconventional Seed Oils, 125–138. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-824135-6.00007-6
- Kaur, S., Dhurve, P., Arora, V. K. (2022). Statistical approach to investigate the effect of vibro-fluidized bed drying on bioactive compounds of muskmelon (Cucumis melo) seeds. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, 46 (9). doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.16331
- Chen, L., Li, D., Zhu, C., Ma, X., Rong, Y. (2021). Fatty Acids and Flavor Components in the Oil Extracted from Golden Melon Seeds. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, 123 (4), 2000233. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.202000233
- Kale, S., Matthäus, B., Aljuhaimi, F., Ahmed, I. A. M., Özcan, M. M., Ghafoor, K. et. al. (2020). A comparative study of the properties of 10 variety melon seeds and seed oils. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, 44 (6). doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.14463
- Kairbayeva, A., Tlevlessova, D., Imanbayev, A., Mukhamadiyeva, K., Mateyev, Y. (2022). Determining optimal technological modes for pressing oil from melon seeds to justify rational engineering and structural solutions. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (11 (116)), 12–22. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2022.255731
- Giwa, S. O., Akanbi, T. O. (2020). Mechanization of melon processing and novel extraction technologies: A short review. Scientific African, 9, e00478. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sciaf.2020.e00478
- Rabadán, A., Nunes, M. A., Bessada, S. M. F., Pardo, J. E., Oliveira, M. B. P. P., Álvarez-Ortí, M. (2020). From By-Product to the Food Chain: Melon (Cucumis melo L.) Seeds as Potential Source for Oils. Foods, 9 (10), 1341. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/foods9101341
- Gómez-García, R., Campos, D. A., Aguilar, C. N., Madureira, A. R., Pintado, M. (2020). Valorization of melon fruit (Cucumis melo L.) by-products: Phytochemical and Biofunctional properties with Emphasis on Recent Trends and Advances. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 99, 507–519. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2020.03.033
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Bibipatyma Yerenova, Dinara Tlevlessova, Ainura Kairbayeva, Zhanar Nabiyeva, Aigul Almaganbetova, Nurdana Sakyp
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.