Construction of a mathematical model of vehicles tangent collision during reconstruction of the circumstances of a road accident
Keywords:vehicle, side impact, loss of stability, absence of braking, reconstruction of TA circumstances
This paper considers the task to clarify the circumstances of a traffic accident (TA) involving two vehicles as a result of their lateral tangential collision at low angles.
The aim of the study is to construct a mathematical model of a tangential collision of vehicles for the reconstruction of TA circumstances.
Owing to the combination of the law of conservation of momentum and the theory of impact using the coefficient of recovery, it was possible to construct a mathematical model that describes the development of such an accident and makes it possible to determine the main parameters of the movement of vehicles after and before the collision. An answer is given regarding the possibility of losing the directional stability of the vehicle and its movement in the lateral direction because of a collision.
Based on the mathematical model, the basic parameters of vehicles motion after their side collision at angles of 5–15° were analytically determined, when there are no slip marks on the road surface.
A numerical experiment was conducted on the example of a specific accident. The findings make it possible to argue about the possibility of losing the directional stability of vehicles and shifting them to the oncoming lane or curb as a result of collision.
A comparison of the results of the numerical calculation with the results of software modeling of accidents and the circumstances that were established in the process of studying a real accident was carried out. It was concluded that the results obtained are consistent and make it possible to more accurately assess the parameters of the movement of vehicles after their lateral tangential collision. In general, this produces more objective results of the reconstruction of TA mechanism in cases where there are no traces of slipping and braking on the road surface.
The proposed mathematical model could be used in collisions accompanied by minor deformations or damage to vehicles
- Ilarionov, V. A. (1989). Ekspertiza dorozhno-transportnykh proisshestviy. Moscow: Transport, 256.
- Evtyukov, S. A., Vasil'ev, Ya. V. (2006). Ekspertiza dorozhno-transportnykh proisshestviy. Sankt-Peterburg: Izd-vo DNK, 536.
- Gidlewski, M., Prochowski, L., Jemioł, L., Żardecki, D. (2018). The process of front-to-side collision of motor vehicles in terms of energy balance. Nonlinear Dynamics, 97 (3), 1877–1893. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11071-018-4688-x
- Wei, T., Zhi-qiang, L., Ai-hong, Z., Liang, J. (2018). A simplified model for analysis of Side-impact Velocity Based on Energy Method. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 392, 062126. doi: https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899x/392/6/062126
- Viba, J., Liberts, G., Gonca, V. (2009). Car Rollover Collision With Pit Corner. Transport, 24 (1), 76–82. doi: https://doi.org/10.3846/1648-4142.2009.24.76-82
- Turenko, A. M., Klymenko, V. I., Saraiev, O. V., Danets, S. V. (2013). Avtotekhnichna ekspertyza. Doslidzhennia obstavyn DTP. Kharkiv: KhNADU, 320.
- Rodionov, Yu. V., Novopisniy, E. A. (2015). Metodiki ekspertnogo issledovaniya stolknoveniy transportnykh sredstv. Penza: PGUAS, 188.
- Wach, W. (2020). Spatial Impulse-Momentum Collision Model in Programs for Simulation of Vehicle Accidents. 2020 XII International Science-Technical Conference AUTOMOTIVE SAFETY. doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/automotivesafety47494.2020.9293494
- Vangi, D., Begani, F., Spitzhüttl, F., Gulino, M.-S. (2019). Vehicle accident reconstruction by a reduced order impact model. Forensic Science International, 298, 426.e1–426.e11. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2019.02.042
- Chen, Q., Xie, Y., Ao, Y., Li, T., Chen, G., Ren, S. et al. (2021). A deep neural network inverse solution to recover pre-crash impact data of car collisions. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 126, 103009. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2021.103009
- Strother, C. E., Woolley, R. L., James, M. B., Warner, C. Y. (1986). Crush Energy in Accident Reconstruction. SAE Technical Paper Series. doi: https://doi.org/10.4271/860371
- Wach, W., Gidlewski, M., Prochowski, L. (2016). Modelling reliability of vehicle collision reconstruction based on the law of conservation of momentum and Burg equations. Proceedings of 20th International Scientific Conference. Transport Means 2016, Part II. Kaunas University of Technology Publisher, Kaunas 2016, 693–698. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/321071413_Modelling_Reliability_of_Vehicle_Collision_Reconstruction_Based_on_the_Law_of_Conservation_of_Momentum_and_Burg_Equations
- Dong, H.-C., Nie, Z.-G. (2017). Identification for Speed of Vehicle and Its Uncertainty Analysis of Road Traffic Accident by Momentum Method. DEStech Transactions on Computer Science and Engineering. doi: https://doi.org/10.12783/dtcse/csma2017/17373
- Povaliaiev, S., Saraiev, O. (2021). Mathematical model for estimation the stability of the vehicle’s motion on overturning. Vehicle and Electronics. Innovative Technologies, 19, 47–52. doi: https://doi.org/10.30977/veit.2021.19.0.47
- Li, B., Bei, S. (2019). Research method of vehicle rollover mechanism under critical instability condition. Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 11 (1), 168781401882121. doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/1687814018821218
- Imine, H., Benallegue, A., Madani, T., Srairi, S. (2014). Rollover Risk Prediction of Heavy Vehicle Using High-Order Sliding-Mode Observer: Experimental Results. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 63 (6), 2533–2543. doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/tvt.2013.2292998
- Saraiev, O., Gorb, Y. (2018). A Mathematical Model of the Braking Dynamics of a Car. SAE Technical Paper Series. doi: https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1893
- Danez, S., Saraiev, O. (2018). Mathematical modeling of speed change of vehicles at emergency braking. Technology Audit and Production Reserves, 3 (1 (41)), 22–28. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/2312-8372.2018.133612
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Oleksii Saraiev, Alexey Voropay, Oleksandr Koriak, Serhii Povaliaiev, Andrey Sharapata
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.