Improving the quality of rye-wheat bread enriched with flour from extruded kernels of sunflower seeds for food supplies to military personnel
Keywords:flour from extruded kernel of sunflower seeds, rye-wheat bread, nutrient profile, quality indicators
Bakery products have an unstable heterogeneous structure that needs stabilization. The nutrient composition of these products, in most cases, is unbalanced: it is characterized by a high content of calories and carbohydrates. At the same time, the content of protein, fat, dietary fiber (fiber), vitamins, macro- and microelements is low. This leads to the search for raw materials with high functional and technological potential and with an attractive nutrient profile. The expediency of using in the technologies of bakery products a secondary product of processing sunflower seeds – flour from the extruded kernel of sunflower seeds (FESSK) has been proved. Its nutrient profile has been investigated. A high protein content (38.73 %) with a well-balanced amino acid composition (10 essential and 9 non-essential amino acids) increases the biological value of FESSK. The content of fat (4.87 %), rich in unsaturated fatty acids (16 fatty acids), enriches the nutritional profile of FESSK. The high ash content (8.0 %) (22 elements were found) and the presence of 12 vitamins (92.3 % of the total amount of vitamins) indicates a high biological value of FESSK. It was found that the addition of FESSK in the amount of 10.0 % to the mass of wheat flour increases the humidity by 0.5–1.2 %; reduces acidity by 0.5–1.2°; increases porosity by 7.0–11.0 %; increases the specific volume by 1.12–1.26 cm3/g. It reduces crumbliness of the crumb by 2.0–2.2 times, QMAFAnM – by 4.0–4.8 times, and increases the period of preservation of bread freshness by 1.57–1.77 times
- Ancuța, P., Sonia, A. (2020). Oil Press-Cakes and Meals Valorization through Circular Economy Approaches: A Review. Applied Sciences, 10 (21), 7432. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/app10217432
- Petraru, A., Ursachi, F., Amariei, S. (2021). Nutritional Characteristics Assessment of Sunflower Seeds, Oil and Cake. Perspective of Using Sunflower Oilcakes as a Functional Ingredient. Plants, 10 (11), 2487. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/plants10112487
- Akkaya, М. R. (2018). Fatty acid compositions of sunflowers (Helianthus annuus L.) grown in east Mediterranea region. Rivista Italiana Delle Sostanze Grasse, XCV (4), 239–247. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/328143287_Fatty_acid_compositions_of_sunflowers_Helianthus_annuus_L_grown_in_east_Mediterranea_region
- Alexandrino, T. D., Ferrari, R. A., de Oliveira, L. M., de Cássia S.C. Ormenese, R., Pacheco, M. T. B. (2017). Fractioning of the sunflower flour components: Physical, chemical and nutritional evaluation of the fractions. LWT, 84, 426–432. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2017.05.062
- Grasso, S., Omoarukhe, E., Wen, X., Papoutsis, K., Methven, L. (2019). The Use of Upcycled Defatted Sunflower Seed Flour as a Functional Ingredient in Biscuits. Foods, 8 (8), 305. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/foods8080305
- Evlash, V., Tovma, L., Tsykhanovska, I., Gaprindashvili, N. (2019). Innovative Technology of the Scoured Core of the Sunflower Seeds After Oil Expression for the Bread Quality Increasing. Modern Development Paths of Agricultural Production, 665–679. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-14918-5_65
- Ohliad prodovolchoi bezpeky ta polityky v Ukraini. Tsentr doslidzhen prodovolstva ta zemlekorystuvannia (KSE Ahrotsentr) (2022). Ministerstvo ahrarnoi polityky ta prodovolstva Ukrainy. Available at: https://kse.ua/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Food-security-and-policy-in-Ukraine_ukr.versiya-1.pdf
- Shchekoldina, T., Aider, M. (2012). Production of low chlorogenic and caffeic acid containing sunflower meal protein isolate and its use in functional wheat bread making. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 51 (10), 2331–2343. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-012-0780-2
- Man, S., Păucean, A., Muste, S., Pop, A., Sturza, A., Mureșan, V., Salanță, L. C. (2017). Effect Of Incorporation Of Sunflower Seed Flour On The Chemical And Sensory Characteristics Of Cracker Biscuits. Bulletin of University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine Cluj-Napoca. Food Science and Technology, 74 (2), 95. doi: https://doi.org/10.15835/buasvmcn-fst:0018
- Škrbić, B., Filipčev, B. (2008). Nutritional and sensory evaluation of wheat breads supplemented with oleic-rich sunflower seed. Food Chemistry, 108 (1), 119–129. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.10.052
- Gómez, M., Martinez, M. M. (2017). Fruit and vegetable by-products as novel ingredients to improve the nutritional quality of baked goods. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 58 (13), 2119–2135. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2017.1305946
- Martins, Z. E., Pinho, O., Ferreira, I. M. P. L. V. O. (2017). Food industry by-products used as functional ingredients of bakery products. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 67, 106–128. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2017.07.003
- Mohammed, K., Obadi, M., Omedi, J. O., Letsididi, K. S., Koko, M., Zaaboul, F. et al. (2018). Effect of sunflower meal protein isolate (SMPI) addition on wheat bread quality. Journal of Academia and Industrial Research, 6 (9),159–164. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/324079011_Effect_of_Sunflower_Meal_Protein_Isolate_SMPI_Addition_on_Wheat_Bread_Quality
- de Oliveira Filho, J. G., Egea, M. B. (2021). Sunflower seed byproduct and its fractions for food application: An attempt to improve the sustainability of the oil process. Journal of Food Science, 86 (5), 1497–1510. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.15719
- Wu, L. (2007). Effect of chlorogenic acid on antioxidant activity of Flos Lonicerae extracts. Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE B, 8 (9), 673–679. doi: https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.2007.b0673
- Goiri, I., Zubiria, I., Benhissi, H., Atxaerandio, R., Ruiz, R., Mandaluniz, N., Garcia-Rodriguez, A. (2019). Use of Cold-Pressed Sunflower Cake in the Concentrate as a Low-Input Local Strategy to Modify the Milk Fatty Acid Profile of Dairy Cows. Animals, 9 (10), 803. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/ani9100803
- Mirpoor, S. F., Giosafatto, C. V. L., Porta, R. (2021). Biorefining of seed oil cakes as industrial co-streams for production of innovative bioplastics. A review. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 109, 259–270. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2021.01.014
- Staender, M., Schroedl, W., Krueger, M. (2009). Exocytotic and phagocytotic activities of Tetrahymena pyriformis are not influenced by Clostridium botulinum neurotoxins. Protistology, 6 (1), 45–54. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/255647414_Exocytotic_and_phagocytotic_activities_of_Tetrahymena_pyriformis_are_not_influenced_by_Clostridium_botulinum_neurotoxins
- Koriachkina, S. Ya., Berezina, N. A., Khmeleva, Ye. V. (2010). Metody doslidzhennia yakosti khlibobulochnykh vyrobiv. Kyiv: Nauka, 166.
- Kasymova, Ch. K. (2012). Laboratornyi praktykum z kursu "Tekhnolohiya khliba, kondyterskykh ta makaronnykh vyrobiv". Bishkek: Kyrhyzkyi derzhavnyi tekhnichnyi universytet im. I. Razzakova, 48.
- DSP 4.4.5.078. Mikrobiolohichni normatyvy ta metody kontroliu produktsiyi hromadskoho kharchuvannia (2001). Kyiv: MOZ Ukrainy. Available at: http://online.budstandart.com/ua/catalog/doc-page?id_doc=84558
- 2023-03-01 (2)
- 2023-02-25 (1)
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Iryna Tsykhanovska, Lidiіa Tovma, Tetiana Lazarieva, Olga Blahiy, Alexandr Alexandrov, Mykola Riabchykov, Sergiy Kaplun, Oleh Rikunov, Oleh Smahin
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.