Development of wheat bread recipe with pumpkin paste
Keywords:pumpkin paste, bread, physical-chemical indicators, sensory indicators
The object of this study is the production technology of bread with pumpkin paste. The task to enrich bread with pumpkin paste was resolved.
The influence of different amounts of pumpkin paste on the technological parameters of the quality of wheat bread and culinary quality was investigated. It was established that the addition of pumpkin paste influenced the technological parameters of the quality of bread. Bread baking loss decreased from 10.8 % to 9.9 with the addition of 5 % pumpkin paste. In the variant with 60 % pumpkin paste, the bread baking loss was 3.8 %. With the addition of 5–25 % of pumpkin paste to the bread recipe, bread shrinkage increased significantly to 4.2–4.3 % compared to control (3.5 %). A significantly larger volume was obtained by adding 25–30 % pumpkin paste. With this amount of paste, this indicator was 207–211 cm3/100 g of dough and 346–348 cm3/100 g of flour. With the addition of 35–60 % of pumpkin paste, the volume of bread was 330–338 cm3/100 g of flour. A significantly higher specific volume was obtained by adding 25–30 % of pumpkin paste – 2.0 cm3/g of dough and 2.3–2.4 cm3/g of bread. The addition of pumpkin paste increased the mass of bread from 133 to 135–166 g.
It was established that the organoleptic assessment of bread did not change from the amount of pumpkin paste. The smell, taste, pores in size and uniformity correspond to the highest level of assessment – 9 points. The elasticity and consistency of the crumb was at the level of 7 points. The surface of the crust corresponded to 3 points, the glossy surface – 3 points.
A distinctive feature of the research results is that in the technology of bread it is necessary to add 25–30 % of pumpkin paste. The use of this amount of pumpkin paste provides bread with a volume of 346–348 cm3/100 g of flour. The smell and taste of bread according to this recipe is high – 9 points.
The recommendations reported here can be used by small and medium size enterprises for the production of bakery
- Miś, A., Nawrocka, A., Dziki, D. (2017). Behaviour of Dietary Fibre Supplements During Bread Dough Development Evaluated Using Novel Farinograph Curve Analysis. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 10 (6), 1031–1041. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-017-1881-8
- Ulyanych, O., Poltoretskyi, S., Liubych, V., Yatsenko, A., Yatsenko, V., Lazariev, O., Kravchenko, V. (2021). Effect of surface drip irrigation and cultivars on physiological state and productivity of faba bean crop. Agraarteadus, 32 (1), 139–149. doi: https://doi.org/10.15159/jas.21.14
- Ebrahimi, M., Ali Noori, S. M., Sadeghi, A., Coban, O. emir, Zanganeh, J., Ghodsmofidi, S. M. et al. (2022). Application of cereal-bran sourdoughs to enhance technological functionality of white wheat bread supplemented with pumpkin (Cucurbita pepo) puree. LWT, 158, 113079. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2022.113079
- Liubych, V., Novikov, V., Zheliezna, V., Prykhodko, V., Balabak, O., Kirian, V. et al. (2022). Devising the recipe for a cake with fresh sliced pumpkin according to culinary quality indicators. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3 (11 (117)), 19–30. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2022.258371
- Liubych, V., Novikov, V., Zheliezna, V., Makarchuk, M., Balabak, O., Kirian, V. et al. (2022). Quality forming patterns in the cupcake enriched with pumpkin slices. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (11 (116)), 43–51. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2022.255646
- Monthly minimum wages - bi-annual data. Eurostat. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/databrowser/product/page/earn_mw_cur
- Sychevskyi, M., Shpychak, O., Kovalenko, O., Kuts, O., Bokii, O. (2020). Trends and prospects for the development of bakery production in European countries. Ekonomika APK, 309 (7), 54–67. doi: https://doi.org/10.32317/2221-1055.202007054
- Samilyk, M., Demidova, E., Bolgova, N., Savenko, O., Cherniavska, T. (2022). Development of bread technology with high biological value and increased shelf life. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (11 (116)), 52–57. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2022.255605
- Zafar, M. U., Ping, Q. (2020). Consumers? Attitude and preferences of functional food: a qualitative case study. Pakistan journal of agricultural sciences, 57 (1), 9–16. Available at: https://pakjasapi.pakjas.com.pk/downloadPaper/3069.pdf
- Curtain, F., Grafenauer, S. (2019). Health Star Rating in Grain Foods – Does It Adequately Differentiate Refined and Whole Grain Foods? Nutrients, 11 (2), 415. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/nu11020415
- Rakcejeva, T., Galoburda, R., Cude, L., Strautniece, E. (2011). Use of dried pumpkins in wheat bread production. Procedia Food Science, 1, 441–447. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profoo.2011.09.068
- Carocho, M., Ferreira, I. C. F. R. (2013). A review on antioxidants, prooxidants and related controversy: Natural and synthetic compounds, screening and analysis methodologies and future perspectives. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 51, 15–25. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2012.09.021
- Sudipta, D, Soumitra, B. (2015). Production of pumpkin powder and its utilization in bakery products development: a review. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, 04 (05), 478–481. doi: https://doi.org/10.15623/ijret.2015.0405089
- Brigagão, T. C. S., Fortes, R. R., Lourenço, C. O., Carvalho, E. E. N., Cirillo, M. Â., Nachtigall, A. M., Vilas Boas, B. M. (2021). Optimization of gluten‐free muffins made with pineapple peel, banana peel, and pumpkin seed flours. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, 45 (12). doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.16037
- Kiharason, J. W., Isutsa, D. K., Ngoda, P. N. (2017). Effect of drying method on nutrient integrity of selected components of pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata Duch.) fruit flour. ARPN Journal of Agricultural and Biological Science, 12 (3), 110–116. Available at: http://www.arpnjournals.org/jabs/research_papers/rp_2017/jabs_0317_852.pdf
- Kulaitienė, J., Jariene, E., Danilcenko, H., Cerniauskien, J., Wawrzyniak, A., Hamulka, J., Juknevicien, E. (2014). Chemical composition of pumpkin (Cucurbita maxima D.) ﬂesh ﬂours used for food. Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment, 12 (3&4), 61–64. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jadwiga-Hamulka/publication/286116874_Chemical_composition_of_pumpkin_Cucurbita_maxima_D_flesh_flours_used_for_food/links/566ee34808ae0e4446b39c60/Chemical-composition-of-pumpkin-Cucurbita-maxima-D-flesh-flours-used-for-food.pdf
- Scarton, M., Nascimento, G. C., Felisberto, M. H. F., Moro, T. de M. A., Behrens, J. H., Barbin, D. F., Clerici, M. T. P. S. (2021). Muffin with pumpkin flour: technological, sensory and nutritional quality. Brazilian Journal of Food Technology, 24. doi: https://doi.org/10.1590/1981-6723.22920
- Bayramov, E., Aliyev, S., Gasimova, A., Gurbanova, S., Kazimova, I. (2022). Increasıng the bıologıcal value of bread through the applıcatıon of pumpkın puree. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (11 (116)), 58–68. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2022.254090
- Gurung, B., Ojha, P., Subba, D. (2016). Effect of Mixing Pumpkin Puree With Wheat Flour on Physical, Nutritional and Sensory Characteristics of Biscuit. Journal of Food Science and Technology Nepal, 9, 85–89. doi: https://doi.org/10.3126/jfstn.v9i0.13142
- Akbaş, M., Kılmaoğlu, H. (2022). Evaluation of The Effects of The Use of Vegetable and Fruit Extracts on Bread Quality Properties. Turkish Journal of Agriculture - Food Science and Technology, 10 (10), 1838–1844. doi: https://doi.org/10.24925/turjaf.v10i10.1838-1844.5168
- Litvynchuk, S., Galenko, O., Cavicchi, A., Ceccanti, C., Mignani, C., Guidi, L., Shevchenko, A. (2022). Conformational Changes in the Structure of Dough and Bread Enriched with Pumpkin Seed Flour. Plants, 11 (20), 2762. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/plants11202762
- Wongsagonsup, R., Kittisuban, P., Yaowalak, A., Suphantharika, M. (2015). Physical and sensory qualities of composite wheat-pumpkin flour bread with addition of hydrocolloids. International Food Research Journal, 22 (2), 745–752. Available at: http://www.ifrj.upm.edu.my/22%20(02)%202015/(41).pdf
- Gao, D., Helikh, A., Duan, Z., Liu, Y., Shang, F. (2022). Development of pumpkin seed meal biscuits. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (11 (116)), 36–42. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2022.254940
- Liubych, V. V. (2021). Quality of bread from flour of different spelt wheat varieties. Scientific Papers of the Institute of Bioenergy Crops and Sugar Beet, 29, 78–88. doi: https://doi.org/10.47414/np.29.2021.244429
- Litun, P. P., Kyrychenko, V. V., Petrenkova, V. P., Kolomatska, V. P. (2009). Systematychnyi analiz v selektsiyi polovykh kultur. Kharkiv, 351.
- Tsarenko, O. M., Zlobin, Yu. A., Skliar, V. H., Panchenko, S. M. (2000). Kompiuterni metody v silskomu hospodarstvi ta biolohiyi. Sumy, 200.
- Yevchuk, Ya., Lyubich, V. (2019). Improvement of wheat bread technology enriched with nonconventional plant ingredients. Scientific Horizons, 79 (6), 58–67. doi: https://doi.org/10.33249/2663-2144-2019-78-5-58-67
- Anitha, S., Ramya, H. N., Ashwini, A. (2020). Effect of mixing pumpkin powder with wheat flour on physical, nutritional and sensory characteristics of cookies. International Journal of Chemical Studies, 8 (4), 1030–1035. doi: https://doi.org/10.22271/chemi.2020.v8.i4g.9737
- Petrenko, V., Liubich, V., Bondar, V. (2017). Baking quality of wheat grain as influenced by agriculture systems, weather and storing conditions. Romanian Agricultural Research, 34, 69–76. Available at: https://www.incda-fundulea.ro/rar/nr34/rar34.9.pdf
- Ozgoren, E., Yapar, A. (2022). Physicochemical, microstructure and sensory properties of noodle enriched with pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata) powder. Latin American Applied Research - An International Journal, 52 (4), 313–320. doi: https://doi.org/10.52292/j.laar.2022.847
- Minarovičová, L., Lauková, M., Kohajdová, Z., Karovičová, J., Kuchtová, V. (2017). Effect of pumpkin powder incorporation on cooking and sensory parameters of pasta. Potravinarstvo Slovak Journal of Food Sciences, 11 (1), 373–379. doi: https://doi.org/10.5219/743
- Partridge, D., Lloyd, K. A., Rhodes, J. M., Walker, A. W., Johnstone, A. M., Campbell, B. J. (2019). Food additives: Assessing the impact of exposure to permitted emulsifiers on bowel and metabolic health – introducing the FADiets study. Nutrition Bulletin, 44 (4), 329–349. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/nbu.12408
- AlJahani, A., Cheikhousman, R. (2017). Nutritional and sensory evaluation of pumpkin-based (Cucurbita maxima) functional juice. Nutrition & Food Science, 47 (3), 346–356. doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/nfs-07-2016-0109
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Vitalii Liubych, Volodymyr Novikov, Olexandr Pushka, Iryna Pushka, Vladyslav Cherchel, Mykola Kyrpa, Tetyana Kolibabchuk, Viktor Kirian, Valentyn Moskalets, Tetiana Moskalets
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.