An algorithm for building a project team considering interpersonal relations of employees
Keywords:project team, sociometric matrix, sociometric indices, group interaction, interpersonal relations in team
The setting of the problem of building a project team considering interpersonal relations between the employees was formulated.
While selecting an employee to a project team, it is proposed to consider his contribution to inter-group interaction, which is determined on the basis of the number of choices and rejections, given and obtained by each candidate in the process of sociometric survey.
We proposed improvement of the procedure of sociometric survey, which allows taking into consideration the degree of preference (rejection) of each other by the individuals while filling in sociometric cards and when calculating individual sociometric indices, which makes it possible to decrease the uncertainty during selection of candidates to a project team.
The algorithm of solution of the problem of building a project team by the criterion of the maximum total contribution of employees to group interaction was developed, in which ranking procedure of sociometric survey was used.
It is expedient to build a project team by the criterion of maximum total contribution of employees to group interaction in the case, when each candidate can perform only one role in the project. If employees of a company can perform different roles in the project, the proposed criterion of individual contribution of employees to group interaction can be used as a particular criterion in the overall model of multifactor evaluation of candidates to a project team.
- Aldefer, C. P.; Lorsch, J. W. (Ed.) (1987). An intergroup perspective on group dynamics. Handbook of organizational behavior. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 190–222.
- Guzzo, R. A., Shea, G. P.; Dunnette, M. D., Hough, L. M. (Eds.) (1992). Group performance and intergroup relations in organizations. Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 3rd ed. Consulting Psychologist Press, Palo Alto, 269–313.
- Baiden, B. K., Price, A. D. F. (2011). The effect of integration on project delivery team effectiveness. International Journal of Project Management, 29 (2), 129–136. doi: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2010.01.016
- Chansler, P. A., Swamidass, P. M., Cammann, C. (2003). Self-Managing Work Teams: An Empirical Study of Group Cohesiveness in “Natural Work Groups” at a Harley-Davidson Motor Company Plant. Small Group Research, 34 (1), 101–120. doi: 10.1177/1046496402239579
- Maurer, I. (2010). How to build trust in inter-organizational projects: The impact of project staffing and project rewards on the formation of trust, knowledge acquisition and product innovation. International Journal of Project Management, 28 (7), 629–637. doi: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2009.11.006
- Hoegl, M., Gemuenden, H. G. (2001). Teamwork Quality and the Success of Innovative Projects: A Theoretical Concept and Empirical Evidence. Organization Science, 12 (4), 435–449. doi: 10.1287/orsc.12.4.435.10635
- Andrews, M. C., Kacmar, K. M., Blakely, G. L., Bucklew, N. S. (2008). Group Cohesion as an Enhancement to the Justice--Affective Commitment Relationship. Group & Organization Management, 33 (6), 736–755. doi: 10.1177/1059601108326797
- Weiss, J. W. (2001). Project management process in early stage E-businesses: strategies for leading and managing teams. Proceedings of the 34th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. doi: 10.1109/hicss.2001.927158
- Levin, S. V., Petrik, А. А. (2011). Teoretiko-igrovoy podhod k resheniyu mnogokriterialnoy zadachi o naznacheniyah. Otkrytye informatsionnye i kompyuternye integrirovannye tehnologii, 50, 103–110.
- Sabadosh, L. Yu., Dotsenko, N. V., Chumachenko, I. V. (2013). Metod formirovaniya multiproektnyh komand. Systemy obrobky informatsiyi, 2 (109), 290–293.
- Fitzpatrick, E. L., Askin, R. G. (2005). Forming effective worker teams with multi-functional skill requirements. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 48 (3), 593–608. doi: 10.1016/j.cie.2004.12.014
- Hlaoittinun, O., Bonjour, E., Dulmet, M. (2007). A team building approach for competency development. 2007 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management. doi: 10.1109/ieem.2007.4419343
- Tseng, T.-L., Huang, C.-C., Chu, H.-W., Gung, R. R. (2004). Novel approach to multi-functional project team formation. International Journal of Project Management, 22 (2), 147–159. doi: 10.1016/s0263-7863(03)00058-9
- Moreno, J. L. (2001). Sotsiometriya: Ehxperimentalnyj metod i nauka ob obschestve. Moscow: Akademicheskij proekt, 383.
- Yadov, V. A. (2003). Strategiya sotsiologicheskogo issledovaniya. Moscow: Akademkniga, Dobrosvet, 596.
- Asquin, A., Garel, G., Picq, T. (2010). When project-based management causes distress at work. International Journal of Project Management, 28 (2), 166–172. doi: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2009.08.006
- Kolominskij, Ja. L. (2000). Psihologija vzaimootnoshenij v malyikh gruppakh (obshhie i vozrastnye osobennosti). Minsk: TetraSistems, 432.
- Volkov, I. P. (2002). Sociometricheskie metody v vsotsyalno-psihologichescih issledovanijakh. SPb.: SPbHU, 350.
- Marcovscaja, I. M. (1999). Sociometrichescie metody v psikhologii. Cheliabynsk: YuUrHU, 46.
- Saati, T. L. (1989). Prinjatie reshenij. Metod analiza ierarkhij. Moscow: Radio i svjaz, 316.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Zulfiya Imangulova, Liudmyla Kolesnyk
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.